Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

even after how majestic and imperious we've been this season, why does a loss like last night hurt so much?

It's the cup, it's lower league opposition who City should beat, and it's Wigan again.

Plenty of people on here say the cup doesn't matter. Well it does, and the reaction to City losing last night shows it.

Griezmann over Sergio. Not sure about that! I'd need to pay more attention to AG to be sure but never been a big fan.

Sergio is not perfect for the perfect Pep system but he is of sufficient quality and commitment that Pep should be able to make the pieces fit. The bigger problem is not having the Jesus option.

Griezmann is already a top player, so it would certainly be interesting to see how much of improvement there would be in him playing in this City team and learning from Pep.

I doubt Sergio is going to improve any further at this stage of his career and that currently being asked of him.

You would still need a striker if you got Griezmann though. He doesn't score nearly enough goals. Jesus can play that role too.

A game we should have won - failure to score cost us the match.
====
That said, the biggest weakness we had is that, for whatever reason, the Stones/Laporte pairing was just terrible. TIme and again, Wigan were able to pass it forward and create excellent goal scoring opportunities. We were fortunate not to concede from various Wigan counters - that we finally did concede due to Walker's error was unfortunate and unexpected.
=====
Other than that:
We weren't clinical in front of goal
Danilo had a terrible game, especially in the first half
Walker made a mistake
Delph made a stupid tackle leaving his feet - controversy about the eventual red card aside, an initial red might - whatever you think of the merit - easily have been given. Don't leave your feet, diving into tackles in midfield where nothing is at stake.

Last edited:
Do you think Griezmann could play that role, knowing how Barca have toyed also with the idea?

I believe he would be a great foil with Jesus.

Definitely but I don't think City will pay that sort of fee when they are in hot pursuit of Weigl who will cost a pretty penny as well. I don't think they need to get a big name like Griezmann now either. But they do need someone who can dribble into the box, centrally, and score.

Alexis made sense because he could've been gotten cheap but his wage demands obviously ruled him out. Now, it'll be interesting to see what Pep looks for to fortify there. I think it'll be a veteran but Guardiola may shuffle things and bring Sterling centrall and maybe someone like Dybala out wide right? Hard to guess who he will target but him & Txiki surely have a plan or two

Good old City, the kings of irony

How ironic that we get done over by a rag ref and a Gavin & Stacey lookalike liner
The rag ref’s defence would be, ironically enough, that he is merely protecting players, as our manager has requested
Then who would have guessed that, ironically enough, the winning goal would be scored by the bloke with possibly the best chant ever, who previously has barely had a kick?

Definitely but I don't think City will pay that sort of fee when they are in hot pursuit of Weigl who will cost a pretty penny as well. I don't think they need to get a big name like Griezmann now either. But they do need someone who can dribble into the box, centrally, and score.

Alexis made sense because he could've been gotten cheap but his wage demands obviously ruled him out. Now, it'll be interesting to see what Pep looks for to fortify there. I think it'll be a veteran but Guardiola may shuffle things and bring Sterling centrall and maybe someone like Dybala out wide right? Hard to guess who he will target but him & Txiki surely have a plan or two

I think it could be Leon Bailly at Leverkusen, giving Pep the option of rotating him and Sterling off the flank and centrally.

With Mahrez also coming in if the price is right.

Fred
Bailly
Mahrez
Weigl.

That's my guess based on the scouting and talks so far.

I said vinny with john,he is having a shit time so putting him in to lead the new kid was stupid,defence was all over the place
None of them are confident ahead of juliet and he lets in their 1st shot as per usual,no chance sunday without eddie

Would much rather have Dybala though he too seems afflicted with same shortcomings as his famous countrymen Aguero and Higuain. Genius one moment, flop the next.

A game we should have won - failure to score cost us the match.
====
That said, the biggest weakness we had is that, for whatever reason, the Stones/Laporte pairing was just terrible. TIme and again, Wigan were able to pass it forward and create excellent goal scoring opportunities. We were fortunate not to concede from various Wigan counters - that we finally did concede due to Walker's error was unfortunate and unexpected.

Am I wrong to think that we generally were comfortable? I don't remember too many Wigan attacks. Yes they tried to counter but I can only really recall the Griggs effort in the first half that hit the side netting and their goal. The reality is only one team was trying to attack whilst the other (as has been commonplace) simply tried to contain and survive. I'm not naïve in thinking their strategy was wrong though. They did what they had to do and defended for their lives and were incredibly disciplined too.

I'm gutted but the simple fact for me is that we struggled to create anything of any note in and around the penalty box. Poor decision making and often loose passing was to blame as well. When they scored I knew it was going to be very hard to get back into the game and so it panned out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.