John Stones - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not making excuses for him here,as I have said earlier this morning he has been shaky as fuck since he came back into the team,but to play our "future" partnership on a pitch like that,(rugby not even played on it yet,but still bad),against a team that had nothing to lose was a big risk from Guardiola,and pretty much back fired,as Laporte fared no better either.

Even VK would have sorted shit out,but no Guardiola has the say,so the result is at his door as well in that respect.

Stones hopefully will come good again

His confidence must have taken a huge hit when he got that injury as he was playing the best football of his career

Need to toughen up then because injuries happen to every player.

He was the last man. If he'd made a challenge or even stood his ground he'd have risked being sent off unless he gets the ball. It's a calculated risk backing off because as as long as the player doesn't go past him he can probably still block the shot or cut the angle off.

I thought his general performance last night was an improvement from recent weeks. He needs a solid run of games to get his confidence back.

I thought it was poor defending and could have resulted in a goal had the shot been better. He should not have been getting a shot away there from where he started.

Not good enough at the moment. 4th choice centre half at the moment and is now only the 3rd best ball playing centre half in the squad. Considering he was bought for that, that is not good enough.

Imperious first part of the season which makes his recent form so disappointing.

He looks absolutely exhausted from minute one - he actually looks like he’s ill. He’s been that poor recently he couldn’t have any complaints if he didn’t even make the bench on Sunday never mind the starting 11.

It may well be a massive loss of confidence but if it is then he needs to pull his chin up and fight his way through it.

He must have thought he had cracked it earlier in the season but he hasn’t. He won’t be here much longer if he doesn’t step it up. Completely different player since coming back.

that is a complete overreaction. in reality hes still coming back from injury. with the form he showed earlier in the season ( amazing potential) there is not a chance we will sell him. i mean if walker now has a terrible end of season, will he be sold ? or sterling ?. i actually thought he played alright last night swell

pep, the club and many fans can see how good he could become, why on earth would we get rid of a young english centre back like stones just because hes had a few bad/average games recently ?

Last edited:
Him and Laporte were all over the place against a team with about 20% possession. That just shouldn't be happening. Stones seems to lose confidence remarkably easily. Very worrying. He doesn't even attempt to play on the front foot any more. Just his old backing off, passive bollocks.
Spot on and most noticeable last night. A lot have a go at Ota for lunging in, but we needed that last night

Said starting Stones and Laporte away at Wigan was potentially a disaster and guess what, it was.

Their striker should of scored in the first 15 minutes where John was backing off and was too scared to put a tackle. Think if he started with Vinny he would of got a bollocking for that.

Now it looks like he will struggle to get back into the line up, currently 4th best in terms of form.

that is a complete overreaction. in reality hes still coming back from injury. with the form he showed earlier in the season ( amazing potential) there is not a chance we will sell him. i mean if walker now has a terrible end of season, will he be sold ? or sterling ?. i actually thought he played alright last night swell

pep, the club and many fans can see how good he could become, why on earth would we get rid of a young english centre back like stones just because hes had a few bad/average games recently ?
We are not at a level now where we can hang around and wait to see if Stones returns to the good run of form which reflected only about 25% of his games with us.

It's not just a few bad games recently though is it? He's been generally pretty bad now for the best part of three years, but with a patch of fantastic form at the start of the season in the middle of it all. At some point people will start to ask whether the bad performances are the blip or whether the great months were.

He needs to get back to playing on the front foot or he's going to continue to be a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.