Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

They had a great chance 1st half, we were all over the place, the ball went through Danillo's legs and Bravo made a save. Should have scored though.
+1
Extremely shaky performance from the defensive in the first half (Bravo also made a terrible clearance at one point, basically passing it to a Wigan attacker creating unnecessary havoc).

As a Barca fan no doubt you saw just how unplayable Dybala was when he dumped Barca out of last year's CL. Then he was diabolical in final against Real. It is always the same with him, you never know which Dybala will turn up. Serious talent though.

Barcelona have been linked to Dybala for a long time but being a fan of Messi & Argentina, I know his limitations as well

That wouldn't be a bad summer.

I've not seen much of Bailly but I very much like the little that I have seen. Also, isn't there a chance he could count as homegrown if he gets selected by England?

Going back to previous point, I don't think there is much in the way of improvement to come from Sergio.

Yep, think his grandparents are English and he is holding out for a call-up.

Exciting talent.

vinny was fit he should have played,a rookie and one having a mare should not have been put together,him behind them did not help at all
Agree.

The Stones + Laporte pairing was terrible. Both are slow - so that's part of it. But something else was very off as well. Otters or Kompany should have started instead (or, hell, play a back 3).

After about 15 minutes into the game, it was plainly obvious that we were having troubles at CB.

Big thing lacking yesterday especially first half was our ability to win the ball in their final third consistently enough. KDB for all his attacking threat is also a master at getting a toe in and keeping maximum pressure on. That's why Delph also makes that tackle. He's trying to keep the momentum up with the attack. They scored at just the right time and their defensive concentration was impressive. Sometimes we play that lofted ball across the box not because it is a threat but because when it drops we normally pick it up and have a little pocket of space which the clearing defender just vacated that we can exploit. With KDB and Raheem both out Wigan were just able to beat the press too often.

Bilva needs to start playing much more vertically. I said it weeks ago but everything he does is side to side and not up and down. Even when he's playing wide he needs to be pushing towards the line more even if it isn't to get a cross in but to allow a player to cycle into position on the corner of the box as he often is doubled up on.

But it is so tough, even if the players are better man to man, to break down a team that defends so well with such discipline. This is why the missed chances are so damaging.

Good old City, the kings of irony

How ironic that we get done over by a rag ref and a Gavin & Stacey lookalike liner
The rag ref’s defence would be, ironically enough, that he is merely protecting players, as our manager has requested
Then who would have guessed that, ironically enough, the winning goal would be scored by the bloke with possibly the best chant ever, who previously has barely had a kick?
we're city, its in our dna, its what we do, and regardless of how good we are or become, will still happen.

I thought we missed something different last night at the end. We were getting to a position with no effective ball into the box and aguero was marked by giants and often our only player in a scoring position. I felt last night it would have been good (against a team like wigan) to bring someone with a bit of height to shake it up - imagine if Dzeko or even a Giroud could have come off the bench.

I know its not the pep way and I don't want hoof ball, but sometimes we need something different when faced with a 6ft wall that is not for budging.

Jesus wept. We batter a team with 10 men, and with the only struggle being finishing the game off (Looking at our previous scoring run hasn't been bad), and I've seen some right dross about how "bad" certain players are, and if we don't play full strength all the time that were gonna lose.

Its mind blowing how many reactionary nobs live on this website. The only real chance Wigan had was from a mistake from Walker. I ain't going to hang the lad, as i didn't think he was up to much when playing for spurs, but has looked great, generally for us.

It really does shock me how much shit is posted on here, especially when looking at how we as a team and as individuals have played so well for the vast majority of the season.

Agree.

Stones + Laporte were terrible. Both are slow - so that's part of it. But something else was very off as well. Otters or Kompany should have started instead (or, hell, play a back 3).

After about 15 minutes into the game, it was plainly obvious that we were having troubles at CB.

It was more an issue down our right hand side. Sane wasn't going with their full-back and it exposed Delph's limitations and lack of match sharpness.

Putting Vinny with either Stones or Laporte would just cause more issues.

Otamendi is key and then he makes Stones or Laporte better.

Vinny can only give us mentality, because his legs have gone.

go back to last season and look at his stats for letting in goals ,there is a reason he is not no 1 anymore,eddie is a different league and everyone knows it,bar dippers/stoke games he doesn't allow shots on his goal and usually saves them when they are ones,we are like a leaky sieve without him,sunday will be crap,it won't get to pens thats for sure
vinny was fit he should have played,a rookie and one having a mare should not have been put together,him behind them did not help at all

I agree with you on this, we stand a better chance with Ederson in goal. I don't really like this rotating keepers thing, its not as physically demanding as playing outfield is. Should always pick your best team in a final.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.