Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

+1
Extremely shaky performance from the defensive in the first half (Bravo also made a terrible clearance at one point, basically passing it to a Wigan attacker creating unnecessary havoc).

If you mean the clearance to the left halfway upfield, think was intended for Delph, then I know what you mean. Heart in mouth moment stuff as was reminiscent of goal Liverpool scored against us at their place last season. It was Yaya that time passing to Kolarov and Bravo in goal. Led to the only goal of the match that day.

Former Premier League referee Mark Halsey on Delph's red card:

I thought it was a reckless challenge, and rightly a caution. I thought, 'you've got this spot on'. You can clearly see the yellow card out, and the referee writing Fabian Delph's name and number on the card, and getting ready to issue it. To my amazement, he then puts the yellow card away and reaches for the red.

At that level, don't do that. If you're not sure, don't give a card, give yourself some thinking time. For me, once you've got it out, rightly or wrongly, you've got to go with your decision.

He's on the elite group of Uefa referees. If he did that in the Champions League, I don't think he'd referee again in it this season.

For a referee of his experience to do that... it just shouldn't happen at that level.

It's different if he hadn't pulled the card out, if he's getting information from his colleagues. Once he's got that yellow card out he's got to go with that, he can't then put it away after writing he name down. It's just basic refereeing.

Almost every City fans viewpoint and someone at the FA need to investigate but I won't hold my breath!

I'd also be interested in your take on Aguero?

Plenty think I have something personal against our club legend, but it was again clear last night that his overall decision making and picking the ball up in withdrawn areas is also a contributory factor about our lack of presence and penetration inside the penalty area when we move into the final third.

We don't have a single focal point inside the penalty area to even make the distinction between promising opportunities and clear cut chances.

The Wigan keeper hardly had a shot of note to save in the second half.

At least Sane and Sterling take us closer to goal between the angle of the goal and the six yard box.
Totally agree , a Troy Deeney type box striker is what we need for plan B games as plan A was gash last night

It was more an issue down our right hand side. Sane wasn't going with their full-back and it exposed Delph's limitations and lack of match sharpness.

Putting Vinny with either Stones or Laporte would just cause more issues.

Otamendi is key and then he makes Stones or Laporte better.

Vinny can only give us mentality, because he legs have gone.
Vinny could read the game and direct Stones/Laporte/fullbacks to get into better position - moreover, though he might not be as fast as he once was, he could at least get into position to make a play. On several occasions in the first half, it seems to me that Wigan simply lumped a ball to a forward and from there, big problems ensued.

I agree with you on this, we stand a better chance with Ederson in goal. I don't really like this rotating keepers thing, its not as physically demanding as playing outfield is. Should always pick your best team in a final.

I agree. But you can't change the system within a season. In England you seem to have an old agreement that the 2nd keeper does cup games. We don't have it in Bundesliga. The 1st keeper always plays until there is a change in the ranking.
But now there seem to be agreements for the 2nd keeper I guess.

You're not wrong, we were comfortable, even more so in the 2nd half, just that we couldn't hit the backside of a cow with a banjo, plus again we need to give credit to the Wigan defenders who threw their bodies in the way of everything. With Aguero having an off day and Sterling not playing, we need midfielders to get in on the goal rush but none of them stepped up to the plate. Disappointing I'd rather lose last night than on Sunday

Totally agree with you mate

They had a great chance 1st half, we were all over the place, the ball went through Danillo's legs and Bravo made a save. Should have scored though.

Not really. Don't get me wrong they were full of endeavour but like I said other than what we just said, they never really put us under any intense pressure. I never felt at any point under the cosh. In any game, the opposition will get chances and it's naïve to think otherwsie. We forget about these when it's a comfortable win (i.e. Basel).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.