Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

The team is less than the sum of its parts when KDB and Ederson are out.

People keep saying Bravo rescued us when we went to penalties - but why did we go to penalties in the first place? KDB and Ederson not playing is the answer.

And yes, Ederson has sometimes conceded the first goal but he has helped us score more than the opponents and that's why we have not lost many games where we have had to come from behind.

We were playing a team 2 divisions below us, dominated possession and dictated the game. We absolutely had enough to dispose of Wigan with what he had. The fact we didn't isn't down to the goalkeeper selection and the absence of KDB.

When people say we don't have a plan B, is that just code for "we don't have a big lad to throw on up front"? Personally I think we already have a plan A, B, C, D etc etc Not having a big lump to launch long balls at doesn't mean you don't know how to change up a game. Pep is probably the most tactically flexible manager there is and scoring goals hasn't really been a problem this season. Last night we played the second half with 10 men, neither of our recognised wingers and also with Jesus unavailable to offer something a little bit different. Silva was looking rusty and John Stones still seems way off the pace. I don't think last night is necessarily the best game on which to basing how effective our plan b is.

Jesus wept. We batter a team with 10 men, and with the only struggle being finishing the game off (Looking at our previous scoring run hasn't been bad), and I've seen some right dross about how "bad" certain players are, and if we don't play full strength all the time that were gonna lose.

Its mind blowing how many reactionary nobs live on this website. The only real chance Wigan had was from a mistake from Walker. I ain't going to hang the lad, as i didn't think he was up to much when playing for spurs, but has looked great, generally for us.

It really does shock me how much shit is posted on here, especially when looking at how we as a team and as individuals have played so well for the vast majority of the season.

Well said. To read some comments on here you'd think we were playing Barcelona!

When people say we don't have a plan B, is that just code for "we don't have a big lad to throw on up front"? Personally I think we already have a plan A, B, C, D etc etc Not having a big lump to launch long balls at doesn't mean you don't know how to change up a game. Pep is probably the most tactically flexible manager there is and scoring goals hasn't really been a problem this season. Last night we played the second half with 10 men, neither of our recognised wingers and also with Jesus unavailable to offer something a little bit different. Silva was looking rusty and John Stones still seems way off the pace. I don't think last night is necessarily the best game on which to basing how effective our plan b is.

there was a rag of all people on Talksh!te last night claiming City's lack of a plan B! the very City that lost just 2 domestic games this season and is running away with the Premier League! I know where I'd rather be and it isn't 16 pts behind with no guarantee of cup success either!

I’m not convinced Pep thought it should be a red but he appeared to accept it could be and was a unnecessary tackle.

I would expect City to review it carefully and I think they should appeal.
What Pep actually thinks is irrelevant. He's not going to go back on what he said to the press.

The press reaction is hilarious(ly bitter).

My take: it’s a cup tie. Away. On a pitch resembling a freshly ploughed field. We had 83% possession even with 10 men. We got nothing all game for a ref clearly instructed to give Wigan every 50/50 decision (of which the red card was one). We concede to their only real attack.

Big deal, it happens. In particular it happens when we play as we do. Sure, the rags (if you can suspend belief and imagine for a second that they would have had a player sent off in these circumstances) would have retreated into their shell, and probably won the tie. We don’t play like that. And if the corollary of that is that nights like last night happen, I’m sure 98% of City fans would think ‘fair enough’.

It's done we are out just a shame it's with the aid of a poor decision. Clearly that was a yellow card challenge and the referee knew it.

That being said we should be beating that Wigan side it was sloppy.

The press reaction is hilarious(ly bitter).

My take: it’s a cup tie. Away. On a pitch resembling a freshly ploughed field. We had 83% possession even with 10 men. We got nothing all game for a ref clearly instructed to give Wigan every 50/50 decision (of which the red card was one). We concede to their only real attack.

Big deal, it happens. In particular it happens when we play as we do. Sure, the rags (if you can suspend belief and imagine for a second that they would have had a player sent off in these circumstances) would have retreated into their shell, and probably won the tie. We don’t play like that. And if the corollary of that is that nights like last night happen, I’m sure 98% of City fans would think ‘fair enough’.

Sensible post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.