Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

Just like the FA Cup final in many ways.
  • 4 glorious chances missed in the first half.
  • Good defending/lack of penetration subsequently
  • Player sent off.
  • Defensive mistake + average keeping leads to goal.

I don’t remember us having 4 glorious chances in the cup final. One was all I can remember.

What's worrying for me is that you could tell what was going to happen last night, 100% predictable.
Why is it that when any team creates a max of 3 chances during a game, invariably 1 of them is a GOAL? , Just like the Burnley league match. Yet we create 10+ chances and can't score, why?

Walker, Stones, Bravo all culpable for the goal too. Disappointing.
Just like many games in Pep's first season unfortunately, when the opponents would have hardly any chances and yet would score. Last season, Bravo was at fault very often, and this season we've not been embarrassed as often because Ederson, and our whole defence, have been much better. But last night really was just like last season all over again.

Last night was why everyone loves football. Because any result is possible. For it to happen it requires a lot of things (dodgy ref, poor finishing, mistakes etc) but it happens. If it never did, then no one would watch. Only thing that pees me off (other than Anthony Taylor..) is these people saying Wigan deserved to win. On that same basis the team with less possession/less shots/corners etc etc deserve to win always and we should be bottom. Simple - we did more than enough to win and just were a bit shit in front of goal with a few sloppy passes as well

What's worrying for me is that you could tell what was going to happen last night, 100% predictable.
Why is it that when any team creates a max of 3 chances during a game, invariably 1 of them is a GOAL? , Just like the Burnley league match. Yet we create 10+ chances and can't score, why?

Walker, Stones, Bravo all culpable for the goal too. Disappointing.
That's easy to understand why, if they swarm their own box for the majority of the game it's nigh on impossible to find an opening for a clear shot on goal provided they work hard enough to close of all the angles all game, which along with our passing game pulling players about is no easy task for a full 90mins... which is why a lot of our goals come in the 2nd half and why the sending off was a key moment and Pep knew it could have cost him the win on it's own. As the game wears on City's back line push higher and higher looking for the winning goal... this is part of front-line pressure where the aim is to win the ball as far into their own half as possible and we do this well, we did exceptionally well with 10 men IMO and if not for a mistake by Walker(not going to hold it against him, Pep encourages bravery like this rather than playing it safe and he's been excellent this season for me overall) the people slating the performance wouldn't have much ammunition at all.

Do Wigan manage it if we don't go down to 10 men? Not for me. They celebrated the card like it was a goal in itself because it in a way and it galvanised them for the whole of that second half where they were absolutely battered on pure footballing merit but clung on knowing there was always a chance of a replay or nicking a goal. I feel we should have played it a little safer than we did but maybe Pep really didn't want that extra game so it was either win or lose for him.

how did the keeper have anything to do with the goal ? it was Walkers fault. Fact of the matter is we didnt finish our chances. Gundogan had 2 glorious chances in the first half.
Bravo didn't come of his line to narrow the angle and was set wrong to dive to his left. = Average.
Asside from the fact that Bravo never seems to save such shots - do you think Crazy Eddie would have done better? You bet your bottom dollar he would have. Off his line quickly, angles narrowed. Well you should get the picture now.

I'm of the opinion that Wigan should be disqualified from further participation in the competition. We shouldn't be reinstated as we lost the game, but the club (Wigan) should not benfit from participating in the next round.

I know it sounds churlish but if a riot happened after a Sunday League game, where players were assaulted (and that is what happened to Sergio) they'd be DQ'd.

Make us replay it behind closed doors bit that's not how it's done though as the game finished, if it was before the final whistle then a replay could happen as an abandoned match

That's easy to understand why, if they swarm their own box for the majority of the game it's nigh on impossible to find an opening for a clear shot on goal provided they work hard enough to close of all the angles all game, which along with our passing game pulling players about is no easy task for a full 90mins... which is why a lot of our goals come in the 2nd half and why the sending off was a key moment and Pep knew it could have cost him the win on it's own. As the game wears on City's back line push higher and higher looking for the winning goal... this is part of front-line pressure where the aim is to win the ball as far into their own half as possible and we do this well, we did exceptionally well with 10 men IMO and if not for a mistake by Walker(not going to hold it against him, Pep encourages bravery like this rather than playing it safe and he's been excellent this season for me overall) the people slating the performance wouldn't have much ammunition at all.

Do Wigan manage it if we don't go down to 10 men? Not for me. They celebrated the card like it was a goal in itself because it in a way and it galvanised them for the whole of that second half where they were absolutely battered on pure footballing merit but clung on knowing there was always a chance of a replay or nicking a goal. I feel we should have played it a little safer than we did but maybe Pep really didn't want that extra game so it was either win or lose for him.

Agree - but this is another point, 90-95% of the goals we concede are from our errors.
If are going to smash into the elite in Europe this has to be a concern that Pep needs to sort out next season.

Bravo didn't come of his line to narrow the angle and was set wrong to dive to his left. = Average.
Asside from the fact that Bravo never seems to save such shots - do you think Crazy Eddie would have done better? You bet your bottom dollar he would have. Off his line quickly, angles narrowed. Well you should get the picture now.
Do you remember the United goal, Ederson's positioning was wrong for that. Definitely not Bravo's fault. He has made many saves in the cup runs this year and i guess you forgot the penalty shootout, and the save he made in extra time. But it suits your narrative

i guess you get the picture now

Nothing in the Aguero incident , Wigan fan attacked Kun and he attempted to brush him away , but how small time are Wigan fans great win for them but they have quite a few dickheads amongst their breed , invade the pitch fine its an emotional night your entitled to celebrate , but to goad opposition players and supporters to get a reaction , thats just sheer hatred . Will never by another Pooles pie again :)
Or Griggs?

bravo wasn't at fault what so ever with their goal, anybody who says he was hasn't got a clue,

great touch to take it away from walker so his body was in between walker and the ball and curled in a great goal. i can only think walker thought there was a foul further up the field, bernado in a bit late on a wigan player or offside bit of a schoolboy error,and hes better than that,

poor finishing was the reason we aren't into the next round not bravo

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.