Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

At least on Sunday we'll be playing on a decent surface, I thought the pitch last night was pretty poor which made it that much harder to move the ball quickly and a far few of our players struggled with their touch.

Walker's error clearly led to their goal, no doubt about it. However, without wanting to blame Bravo his positioning was not the best and he does let a lot of shots in.

Agree - but this is another point, 90-95% of the goals we concede are from our errors.
If are going to smash into the elite in Europe this has to be a concern that Pep needs to sort out next season.
I think it could be something that happens every so often that we have to accept(we can reduce it but every system has it's weak points) along with the amazing football nobody else can match not even the elite at the moment.

It's because of our system, we push up high with the defence especially when we are forcing it late on in a game. That space in behind is the reason we concede goals from mistakes, then again how often is a goal not conceded from a mistake?(different kind of mistakes but still mistakes) It's just that the mistakes no matter how few come so far up the pitch that it looks worse than it would deep in your own half as you have to watch a Jamie Vardy sprinting towards your penalty area as fast as his legs can take him for a one on one, no defenders to beat and plenty of time to think about what they are going to do(chances naturally increased)... it also prolongs our anguish after every mistake as it lasts for the whole duration of the race between them and our defenders to the penalty area.

What's worrying for me is that you could tell what was going to happen last night, 100% predictable.
Why is it that when any team creates a max of 3 chances during a game, invariably 1 of them is a GOAL? , Just like the Burnley league match. Yet we create 10+ chances and can't score, why?

Walker, Stones, Bravo all culpable for the goal too. Disappointing.

Really? With 10 mins left I still thought we would win.

I've actually found the reaction of the media and especially people at work hilarious today. The pure spite and jealousy is great and shows how far we have come when the only half sensible lad is a Wigan fan. Only lost our 3rd game of the season and they are celebrating like they have won the world cup.

I've actually found the reaction of the media and especially people at work hilarious today. The pure spite and jealousy is great and shows how far we have come when the only half sensible lad is a Wigan fan. Only lost our 3rd game of the season and they are celebrating like they have won the world cup.

Yeah me too - I have to reign back a bit. But we will have the last laugh.

Different manager, different player.He would be the battering Ram we need against agricultural defences.
Wtf! How did he do for stoke and Swansea? Pep doesn’t rate that type of player or football.

Last edited:
bravo wasn't at fault what so ever with their goal, anybody who says he was hasn't got a clue,

great touch to take it away from walker so his body was in between walker and the ball and curled in a great goal. i can only think walker thought there was a foul further up the field, bernado in a bit late on a wigan player or offside bit of a schoolboy error,and hes better than that,

poor finishing was the reason we aren't into the next round not bravo

I agree with your last sentence and I also agree that it wasn't Bravo's "fault". I just think that a better keeper (i.e. Ederson) might well have saved it. It doesn't go down as a goalkeeping howler, for sure. But was it "saveable"? Yes, I think it was.

Onion bag is only stat that counts, I’m not a blame merchant but, bravo in net, Danilo at right back, Bernardo out of position, playing gundogan, dave, Bernardo together is a great exercise in keep ball and nowt else, sane half fit and been short in the forward line, are errors in judgement.
If we’d of played all night you wouldn’t of seen the lack of defensive ability that walker showed for their goal from any Wigan defender.
Referee had a shocker on the red card with the yellow first bollocks, add all this up and it’s the only reasons we are out, be under no illusion this was a shock of the highest order and the piss taking we’ve all endured today can be rammed down some throats if our judgement from player and management never drops to last nights level.
It really isn’t a drama or fanny wiping time just some observations.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.