Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

Do you remember the United goal, Ederson's positioning was wrong for that. Definitely not Bravo's fault. He has made many saves in the cup runs this year and i guess you forgot the penalty shootout, and the save he made in extra time. But it suits your narrative

i guess you get the picture now

Nice try but no cigar.

You are correct about positioning, and making harder for the striker, but what worries me most is the affect Bravo has on the defence. They seem to be nervous wrecks when he plays. Also Ederson helps build attacks faster, we have struggled to beat Wolves, Leicester and Bristol with this set up, no coincidence is it?
Agree. Bravo has no command of his area the way Ederson does. Hart had it too to a degree.. Without doing anything they have a presence that dominates the goal area. Bravo is the opposite. He's very weak. This must make the players nervous. Knowing any half decent shot will end up in the back of the net must make them feel under more pressure. Ederson is calmness personified. Confidence oozes from him and transmits into the back 4 and especially Fernandinhio. In Peps system the keeper is the critical foundation which allows the team to play high risk football. Sadly Bravo has no attributes that fit the profile of that kind of keeper.

We were playing a team 2 divisions below us, dominated possession and dictated the game. We absolutely had enough to dispose of Wigan with what he had. The fact we didn't isn't down to the goalkeeper selection and the absence of KDB.

It isn't a one off though. What did these games have in common: Wolves, Leicester, (Bristol City at home - last minute win).

When KDB played right from the start away to Bristol City we didn't have that problem.

It doesn't seem to matter what division the team we are playing against belongs to.

Agree. Bravo has no command of his area the way Ederson does. Hart had it too to a degree.. Without doing anything they have a presence that dominates the goal area. Bravo is the opposite. He's very weak. This must make the players nervous. Knowing any half decent shot will end up in the back of the net must make them feel under more pressure. Ederson is calmness personified. Confidence oozes from him and transmits into the back 4 and especially Fernandinhio. In Peps system the keeper is the critical foundation which allows the team to play high risk football. Sadly Bravo has no attributes that fit the profile of that kind of keeper.

Any half decent shot? So from the 29 on target against us in both cups this season only 7 have been half decent or better?

Any half decent shot? So from the 29 on target against us in both cups this season only 7 have been half decent or better?
No idea how many he's faced. All I know is most shots that aren't straight at him seem to go in. Last night if he gets his positioning better he reduces the amount of goal to shoot at. I can go on,...Bravo when he extends his body horizontally doesn't get any reach. Watch his dive last night. The evidence since he arrived is so overwhelming that he's not a top keeper it's bewildering some still defend him. Ederson simply has to be in goal on Sunday or a shaky defence is compromised still further.

I think it could be something that happens every so often that we have to accept(we can reduce it but every system has it's weak points) along with the amazing football nobody else can match not even the elite at the moment.

It's because of our system, we push up high with the defence especially when we are forcing it late on in a game. That space in behind is the reason we concede goals from mistakes, then again how often is a goal not conceded from a mistake?(different kind of mistakes but still mistakes) It's just that the mistakes no matter how few come so far up the pitch that it looks worse than it would deep in your own half as you have to watch a Jamie Vardy sprinting towards your penalty area as fast as his legs can take him for a one on one, no defenders to beat and plenty of time to think about what they are going to do(chances naturally increased)... it also prolongs our anguish after every mistake as it lasts for the whole duration of the race between them and our defenders to the penalty area.
I sort of get where you're comming from but every goal scored is the result of an error of some sort. Wigan made very few defensive errors and when they made one we failed to exploit it. Aguero, Gundogan, Fern and Laporte all had really good chances that they missed. 1 goal would have made all the difference.

Manchester City and Wigan Athletic have been charged by the FA for failing to control their players following Fabian Delph's red card last night. No action against Aguero or Guardiola.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.