Do you still like the music you liked in your 20’s?

Sad bugger that I am, I collate play lists from the different years - us rock, uk rock, prog rock, iconic artists (bowie and the like), folk/country. Have good coverage of all the years in the late 60's, 70's and a little less thorough 80's and 90's. Thats why I think 71 is exceptional. You can come up with 10 - 20 fantastic albums for any year, but try getting to 50 and 60. Its a lot more challenging!

Six wives was ok but am afraid I thought the rest was not great. I like Rick, he is a friendly guy who I have met twice, once before a gig in Edinburgh in the 70's where he came out before the concert to talk to some of us and then again in a lift in NY about 30 years later. I saw Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman last year and it has to be said although he can still produce a tune, he is no longer at his peak!

Nothing wrong with a good list.

Six Wives is definitely his best.

I really enjoyed ARW.

Nothing wrong with a good list.

Six Wives is definitely his best.

I really enjoyed ARW.
I absolutely love Yes and John Anderson in particular - they are the Band I have seen most - maybe 6 or 7 times. I just thought ARW were a bit down on previous concerts and I do prefer Steve Howe as their guitarist. I put it down to their advancing age! However, a couple of weeks later I happened to catch Steve Hackett through in Glasgow - think he is well into his seventies but you wouldn't know it. Best concert I have been at in the last couple of years.

Thats an impressive collection. Over how many years have you put that together?

The last 3. Lost all my original ones over the years so went out and bought a player and an amp and started again. Most of them are second hand but there's a few new re-issues in there. I like the 3 for a tenner sections and won't usually pay more than 20 quid for an album. I had to start writing them all down in a book, which amuses my mates no end, as I was getting doubles. I have also bought a far more diverse range of music than I used to listen to. I don't buy every weekend but if we are going somewhere then I will look to see if there's a shop about.

Was in Cambridge last weekend so bought a few there and London during the week so had a rummage. Ended up with Mike Oldfield's Journey, B52's - B52's, Kimono my House by Sparks, Monkees here comes the Monkees...and a few others. If it catches my eye, it's cheap and I don't have it then I'll buy it.

The last 3. Lost all my original ones over the years so went out and bought a player and an amp and started again. Most of them are second hand but there's a few new re-issues in there. I like the 3 for a tenner sections and won't usually pay more than 20 quid for an album. I had to start writing them all down in a book, which amuses my mates no end, as I was getting doubles. I have also bought a far more diverse range of music than I used to listen to. I don't buy every weekend but if we are going somewhere then I will look to see if there's a shop about.

Was in Cambridge last weekend so bought a few there and London during the week so had a rummage. Ended up with Mike Oldfield's Journey, B52's - B52's, Kimono my House by Sparks, Monkees here comes the Monkees...and a few others. If it catches my eye, it's cheap and I don't have it then I'll buy it.
That’s impressive. My daughter is doing something similar although she has nothing near the collection you have. It does seem to be reasonably easy to pick up good quality second hand. I must admit I am tempted. It’s a very different experience to streaming.

I’m 35 and in my late 20s got so bored of listening to the music I’d been listening to through my teens and 20s from the 90s and 00s (and the 60s 70s and 80s stuff my parents had me listening to as a kid) that barely listen to anything from my past and have found more underground genres of music that have much more diversity and less hammered to death songs.

I absolutely love Yes and John Anderson in particular - they are the Band I have seen most - maybe 6 or 7 times. I just thought ARW were a bit down on previous concerts and I do prefer Steve Howe as their guitarist. I put it down to their advancing age! However, a couple of weeks later I happened to catch Steve Hackett through in Glasgow - think he is well into his seventies but you wouldn't know it. Best concert I have been at in the last couple of years.

I like Rabin a lot but for classic Yes, Steve Howe is the main man. Mind, 90125 is one of my favourite albums.

Would have liked to have seen Hackett. Saw him make a cameo appearance at a gig (Jack Bruce tribute) last year and he was very good.

This is a list from 1975, a quick stab at my top 40. Wouldn't claim it to be better overall than 1971 but the very best of it matches anything from any year, IMO.

Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti
Queen: A Night At The Opera
Bruce Springsteen: Born To Run
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Kiss: Alive!
AC/DC: High Voltage
Eagles: One Of These Nights
Bob Marley And The Wailers: Live!
Rush: Fly By Night
Aerosmith: Toys In The Attic
Ted Nugent: Ted Nugent
Jethro Tull: Minstrel In The Gallery
ZZ Top: Fandango!
Rush: Caress Of Steel
Kiss: Dressed To Kill
Blue Öyster Cult: On Your Feet Or On Your Knees
Deep Purple: Come Taste The Band
Status Quo: On The Level
Bad Company: Straight Shooter
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Nuthin' Fancy
Gary Wright: The Dream Weaver
The Tubes: The Tubes
Rainbow: Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Roxy Music: Siren
Supertramp: Crisis? What Crisis?
Jeff Beck: Blow By Blow
Kraftwerk: Radio-Activity
Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac (1975)
Black Sabbath: Sabotage
Camel: Music Inspired By The Snow Goose
Alice Cooper: Welcome To My Nightmare
Electric Light Orchestra: Face The Music
The Who: The Who By Numbers
Tommy Bolin: Teaser
Bachman-Turner Overdrive: Four Wheel Drive
Neil Young And Crazy Horse: Zuma
Elton John: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy
Neil Young: Tonight's The Night
Heart: Dreamboat Annie
Patti Smith: Horses

50 I like from 1976:

Aerosmith: Rocks
Black Sabbath: Technical Ecstasy
Blue Oyster Cult: Agents Of Fortune
Bob Dylan: Desire
Boston: Boston
Deep Purple: Made In Europe
Eagles: Hotel California
Kiss: Destroyer
Kiss: Rock And Roll Over
Led Zeppelin: Presence
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains The Same
Lynyrd Skynyrd: One More From The Road
Peter Frampton: Frampton Comes Alive!
Rainbow: Rising
Rush: 2112
Starz: Starz
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band: SAHB Stories
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
Mott The Hoople: Greatest Hits
Steely Dan: The Royal Scam
Thin Lizzy: Jailbreak
Camel: Moonmadness
Chick Corea & Return to Forever: Romantic Warrior
David Bowie: Station To Station
Manfred Mann's Earth Band: The Roaring Silence
Genesis: A Trick Of The Tail
J. J. Cale: Troubadour
Joe Walsh: You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Kansas: Leftoverture
Lone Star: Lone Star
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Gimme Back My Bullets
Steve Miller Band: Fly Like An Eagle
Ted Nugent: Free-For-All
Rush: All The World's A Stage
Warren Zevon: Warren Zevon
Jeff Beck: Wired
Queen: A Day At The Races
Stanley Clarke: School Days
Sweet: Give Us A Wink
Be-Bop Deluxe: Sunburst Finish
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band: Night Moves
Boz Scaggs: Silk Degrees
Frank Zappa: Zoot Allures
Styx: Crystal Ball
Robin Trower: Robin Trower Live
The Doobie Brothers: Takin' It To The Streets
The Runaways: The Runaways
Tommy Bolin: Private Eyes
Alice Cooper: Alice Cooper Goes To Hell
Electric Light Orchestra: A New World Record

50 from 1974 (no particular order):

Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Neil Young: On The Beach
Supertramp: Crime Of The Century
David Bowie: Diamond Dogs
Queen: Sheer Heart Attack
Queen: Queen II
Steely Dan: Pretzel Logic
Yes: Relayer
Kraftwerk: Autobahn
Roxy Music: Country Life
Frank Zappa: Apostrophe (')
Deep Purple: Burn
Electric Light Orchestra: Eldorado, A Symphony By The Electric Light Orchestra
Sparks: Kimono My House
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Second Helping
Bad Company: Bad Company
Lou Reed: Rock N Roll Animal
Eric Clapton: 461 Ocean Boulevard
10cc: Sheet Music
Aerosmith: Get Your Wings
Blue Oyster Cult: Secret Treaties
Robin Trower: Bridge Of Sighs
Gong: You
Rory Gallagher: Irish Tour
Sweet: Desolation Boulevard
Kiss: Kiss
Deep Purple: Stormbringer
Mike Oldfield: Hergest Ridge
Rush: Rush
Rick Wakeman: Journey To The Centre Of The Earth
Status Quo: Quo
Kiss: Hotter Than Hell
Joe Walsh: So What
Bachman-Turner Overdrive: Not Fragile
David Bowie: David Live
Jethro Tull: War Child
Mott The Hoople: The Hoople
Slade: Slade in Flame
Eagles: On The Border
T. Rex: Zinc Alloy & The Hidden Riders Of Tomorrow
The Doobie Brothers: What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band: The Impossible Dream
Slade: Old New Borrowed And Blue
Stanley Clarke: Stanley Clarke
Emerson, Lake & Palmer: Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends... Ladies and Gentlemen
Be-Bop Deluxe: Axe Victim
Montrose: Paper Money
Mott The Hoople: Mott The Hoople Live
Faces: Coast To Coast: Overture And Beginners
Argent: Encore

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.