Mental fatigue

I agree we've lost some games because of our own fuck ups...but that's about as obvious a sign of mental fatigue as there is.

We're making more stupid fuck ups. Burnley, Newcastle, Wigan, Liverpool x3, Vardy's goal, letting Bristol back into it in the League Cup.

Sounds just like mental fatigue.

That's backed up if anything by the fact we absolutely twatted Basel and Leicester immediately after the squad all went on holiday and had what Pep called a much needed break from each other

Nearly every goal this season from August on has been from a mistake or lack of concentration by us, not something rhat has just started to happen.

No team has truely oened us up, we have allowed people to score from our mistakes all season.

Nearly every goal this season from August on has been from a mistake or lack of concentration by us, not something rhat has just started to happen.

No team has truely oened us up, we have allowed people to score from our mistakes all season.

Right, so if suddenly we start to make more of those mistakes and lapses of concentration as the season drags on....it could be a sign the players are getting....mentally fatigued.

Right, so if suddenly we start to make more of those mistakes as the season drags on....it could be a sign the players are getting....tired.

Possibly, however, Kev refusing to rest after palace, Sane striving to be fit a soon as possible, Silva fgoing back and forth to contribute through a difficult time would say the players are still focused and energised to finish the job.

Naturally they will get physically tired after a long season, but mentally they seem fine. imho

Possibly, however, Kev refusing to rest after palace, Sane striving to be fit a soon as possible, Silva fgoing back and forth to contribute through a difficult time would say the players are still focused and energised to finish the job.

Naturally they will get physically tired after a long season, but mentally they seem fine. imho

Massive difference between being fatigued and lacking motivation, but you seem to be confusing the two.

They want to play, of course they do, but that doesn't mean they're at 100%.

I think it's clear they are showing signs of mental fatigue. The players aren't breaking teams down as easily, they aren't scoring as many goals, not only that but they're making massive mistakes infront of goal like last night, the defenders are making more mistakes at the back and in general the tempo is way down on what we saw in October/November/December.

It's been a shit part of the season post-Christmas. League over, no silverware to be won but a ridiculous pile up of cup fixtures that had to be won to set up the big end to the season. That part of the season ends next weekend really where you're into the run in, unfortunately they couldn't quite make it through the slog. The fact the squad is 1 forward and midfielder short probably had a lot to do with it - the same names have been relied on to do too much too often and eventually a few "off days" sync up and we get a result like Burnley or Wigan.

Last edited:
Simple (ish) question. Is the season starting to catch up with us mentally as much as physically? We’ve had a long run of injuries that has meant several key players (KDB, Ferna, Sané, Sterling, El General) playing in virtually every game, and that has exacted an inevitable toll physically, but there have been plenty of signs post-Christmas of mental tiredness creeping in as well. A profligacy in front of goal that is now bordering on farcical, calamitous individual errors at the back (Stones vs Burnley, Mangala vs Bristol City (h), Otamendi, Ferna and Stones vs the dippers, Walker last night), an increasing number of heavy touches and poor passes from Raheem and Leroy. Last night I thought Dave looked jaded too - understandably given what he’s been through - and collectively I think leading the pack by so much for so long, brings its own kind of pressure. We’re starting to look like Andy Murray serving for his first Wimbledon title that time when his serve deserted him completely in that final game and he just about staggered over the line.

Away from home in particular it’s been like Groundhog Day: Newcastle (a) 1-0 win when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up hanging on against a team with no ambition whatsoever, Palace (a) 0-0 draw when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up needing Eders to save a 90th minute penalty just to get a point, Liverpool (a) where in just 46 seconds of action (ie. ball in play) we gifted up 2 goals and let the dippers hit the post, Bristol City (a) when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up giving away 2 nothing goals and needed to score with the last kick of the match to win, Burnley (a) when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up letting them hit a post and then equalise, and then last night when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up conceding a soft as fuck winner from virtually the opposition’s only attack. What’s more is that, bar Liverpool, the other 5 teams we’ve faced on that run have all been fucking shite. We’re far enough ahead in the league surely not to fuck it up, but I’m far from convinced we’ll win anything else unless we can rediscover our erstwhile ruthlessness and mental sharpness. Maybe the returning Jesus will help, eh?

It would appear so. I agree with you.

Away from home we are not the same team currently. Fortunately Arsenal are shite away from their ground too.

Personally I think we will win Sunday but not win the CL. I think away goals will catch us out in that because we are always prone to concede.

2 trophies would be fantastic though.

Last night was a poor showing no doubt. It’s always how the players react that matters. They have reacted well to dropping points this season so hope that continues!

Massive difference between being fatigued and lacking motivation, but you seem to be confusing the two.

They want to play, of course they do, but that doesn't mean they're at 100%.

I think it's clear they are showing signs of mental fatigue. The players aren't breaking teams down as easily, they aren't scoring as many goals, not only that but they're making massive mistakes infront of goal like last night, the defenders are making more mistakes at the back and in general the tempo is way down on what we saw in October/November/December

Our central 2 attacking midfielder pairing haven't been playing consistently together for weeks, with have had injuries , of course our rhythm is not as strong and fluent as when we were all out battering teams early on, pair that with teams changing tactics with us to combat our style.

We are dominating games still, and have just come off 2 games with high scores

we have scored 26 goals in the last 10 games, a very good goal average for any team.
Also in that time some of those close scoring games we have created plenty to score, but as I said teams have adapted to block us, yet we have still triumphed in those games.
In the same time we have conceded 11 so yes defensively we have.

In those 10 games we have lost twice and you could argue both games should have been victories and we came out of both games with a lament about silly errors which in the liverpools game.especially we reacted to immediately and nearly drew a game we deserved to draw.

I don't think I am confusing anytging, I am not just seeing 1 loss in 8 incidently to a lower league team as a cause for worry.

If we suddenly lose Sunday and then Thursday then I will probably change that opinion.

Our central 2 attacking midfielder pairing haven't been playing consistently together for weeks, with have had injuries , of course our rhythm is not as strong and fluent as when we were all out battering teams early on, pair that with teams changing tactics with us to combat our style.

We are dominating games still, and have just come off 2 games with high scores

we have scored 26 goals in the last 10 games, a very good goal average for any team.
Also in that time some of those close scoring games we have created plenty to score, but as I said teams have adapted to block us, yet we have still triumphed in those games.
In the same time we have conceded 11 so yes defensively we have.

In those 10 games we have lost twice and you could argue both games should have been victories and we came out of both games with a lament about silly errors which in the liverpools game.especially we reacted to immediately and nearly drew a game we deserved to draw.

I don't think I am confusing anytging, I am not just seeing 1 loss in 8 incidently to a lower league team as a cause for worry.

If we suddenly lose Sunday and then Thursday then I will probably change that opinion.

Teams have adapted. Look at how few corners the opposition have had recently. The discussions have gone from “play for corners and free kicks, it’s our best chance” to “don’t worry about corners as city as dangerous as fuck from them on the break”

We always give a chance up and teams know this. Even against West Brom, who were utter shit all night, Sturridge should have scored following a gift at 2-0. Watford were a threat in the last 15 when we were 3-0 up. It’s now a case of defend for your lives and eventually city will make a mistake.

I do think it’s mental fatigue to a degree.

I think it's a bit of everything, including mental fatigue, but let's not underestimate the nervous tension that creeps into previously untroubled players, from the moment the winning post appears on the horizon.
Sterling will be remembering the Liverpool implosion, whilst I'll wager that Fernandinho won't ever forget a particularly humiliating World Cup Semi Final.
It's even worse for the fans, and despite two Premier League titles, I can still recall the stomach-churning tension at Swansea in 2012, or being outside Selhurst Park in 2014 when Liverpool were losing to Chelsea.
As for the team, I fear that we've run Aguero into the ground. We miss Jesus' energy and pace, but hopefully not for long. We also need a fully fit Sane and Silva,as opposed to the pale imitations of the last week.

I don't know about the players but, like SETD, I'm finding the season exhausting. Every game is crucial and seems to be a matter of hours away meaning I'm struggling to focus on non-footballing matters.

I think I'm ready for the international break next month.

Simple (ish) question. Is the season starting to catch up with us mentally as much as physically? We’ve had a long run of injuries that has meant several key players (KDB, Ferna, Sané, Sterling, El General) playing in virtually every game, and that has exacted an inevitable toll physically, but there have been plenty of signs post-Christmas of mental tiredness creeping in as well. A profligacy in front of goal that is now bordering on farcical, calamitous individual errors at the back (Stones vs Burnley, Mangala vs Bristol City (h), Otamendi, Ferna and Stones vs the dippers, Walker last night), an increasing number of heavy touches and poor passes from Raheem and Leroy. Last night I thought Dave looked jaded too - understandably given what he’s been through - and collectively I think leading the pack by so much for so long, brings its own kind of pressure. We’re starting to look like Andy Murray serving for his first Wimbledon title that time when his serve deserted him completely in that final game and he just about staggered over the line.

Away from home in particular it’s been like Groundhog Day: Newcastle (a) 1-0 win when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up hanging on against a team with no ambition whatsoever, Palace (a) 0-0 draw when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up needing Eders to save a 90th minute penalty just to get a point, Liverpool (a) where in just 46 seconds of action (ie. ball in play) we gifted up 2 goals and let the dippers hit the post, Bristol City (a) when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up giving away 2 nothing goals and needed to score with the last kick of the match to win, Burnley (a) when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up letting them hit a post and then equalise, and then last night when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up conceding a soft as fuck winner from virtually the opposition’s only attack. What’s more is that, bar Liverpool, the other 5 teams we’ve faced on that run have all been fucking shite. We’re far enough ahead in the league surely not to fuck it up, but I’m far from convinced we’ll win anything else unless we can rediscover our erstwhile ruthlessness and mental sharpness. Maybe the returning Jesus will help, eh?

Chill out, we've lost two games all season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.