State of the Roads in Greater Manchester

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
The Withington end of Burton Road is like trying to drive through a minefield after all the mines have exploded.

The roads are a disgrace. People avoid the potholes which itself poses a danger. Austerity isn’t the problem, it’s the fact we’re not being taxed enough to provide decent transport for a country that’s taking in about 300k extra people a year.

Our roads are another indication that the country continues it's downward slide. We should all be so proud.

Can I add pavement slabs to this?? City Centre Manchester is horrendous - its like that Adventure game in the 80's where you step on a slab and then have to make the right decision on which slab to step on next or you get a soaked shoe/trainer and half your trousers are pissed wet through. Walking from Piccadilly gardens to Picc Station is like a percussion orcheastra with the noise the slabs make as everybody walks on them.

The roads are a disgrace. People avoid the potholes which itself poses a danger. Austerity isn’t the problem, it’s the fact we’re not being taxed enough to provide decent transport for a country that’s taking in about 300k extra people a year.

I actually think we are taxed enough its just the taxes raised in VAT and excise duties from the sale of car sales , car parts, car repairs, fuel and so on are not all spent on maintaining the roads - the old Road Fund License was renamed V.E.D. - Vehicle Excise Duty - as it was no longer collected to fund road repairs.

I actually think we are taxed enough its just the taxes raised in VAT and excise duties from the sale of car sales , car parts, car repairs, fuel and so on are not all spent on maintaining the roads - the old Road Fund License was renamed V.E.D. - Vehicle Excise Duty - as it was no longer collected to fund road repairs.

I’m not talking about motoring taxes, I’m talking about paying enough income tax, inheritance tax, property tax to cover essential state services (education, prisons, police, hospitals, courts, army) so that the money that motorists are taxed could be spent on the road. No point moaning about potholes if you’re happy for the state to keep being slashed.

I’m not talking about motoring taxes, I’m talking about paying enough income tax, inheritance tax, property tax to cover essential state services (education, prisons, police, hospitals, courts, army) so that the money that motorists are taxed could be spent on the road. No point moaning about potholes if you’re happy for the state to keep being slashed.

no far from it mate I agree with you ref other taxes my point was that there are already taxes taken off motorists - including lorries, vans, PSV's that if you asked most drivers would think they were ringfenced for road upkeep and construction. A bit of clarity how much is taken and how much is spent might be enlightening first off though eh?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.