Mental fatigue

Could our dip be down to a simple thing - Silva and De Bruyne? They haven't played together very much over the last two months, and when playing together they could unlock any defence.

Top tennis players compete all round the year and don’t get to send on a sub for the 4th set.

Ditto golfers

Cyclists grind along for weeks on a grand tour.

Look at the day in day out repetitive training put in by swimmers or ice skaters ffs.

I don’t get how playing 90 hours max of competitive sport can result in staleness and mental fatigue

In team sports there are always up and downs when players are a bit low on confidence or other factors come to the fore.

There is no mental fatigue as such within the squad but some days are better than others and some days the shots that go in don't and that's the difference.

We had two or three chances to really put the Wigan game to bed in the first half especially but didn't take them simple as and they did with one of their only two shots on target.

We had 15 corners or thereabouts to their nil and 27 shots on goal to 4 and 82 per cent possession.

9 times out of two you will win a game like this or least not lose it and we got the 1 in ten that comes along everytime.

As Stones said we dominated the game and should have won but shit happens and we were not clinical enough in front of goal and made one bad error in the second half.

Its not easy to keep the level we have reached this season especially with key injuries.

Some of the injured are back now and notably Jesus to take the weight of Sergio so I think we will be fine.

We won't win the CL I don't think they are quite ready for it I think Pep needs another good summer.

Premier League and League cup would be a great season for me.

I do not really think there is a dip mentally but we are have become a lot less ruthless at both ends of the pitch of late.

Matches such as Wigan, Burnley, Bristol City away we have created numerous chances, doninated the match yet have still managed to struggle in those games but yet have clearly been far and away the better side.

In some ways, but to a lesser extent, its quite similar to last year. Even Wigan last night being two divisions lower than us created a few decent opportunities (early on) even though we completely dominated the game and that is a pattern from other matches also.

It is a case of taking the rough with the smooth going forward. We dominate matches because of the technical ability of our forward players but we do lack natural finishers in those positions. Still the positives massively outweigh the negatives and the goals for column is particularly healthy even though on night like monday night it can be pretty frustrating.

Simple (ish) question. Is the season starting to catch up with us mentally as much as physically? We’ve had a long run of injuries that has meant several key players (KDB, Ferna, Sané, Sterling, El General) playing in virtually every game, and that has exacted an inevitable toll physically, but there have been plenty of signs post-Christmas of mental tiredness creeping in as well. A profligacy in front of goal that is now bordering on farcical, calamitous individual errors at the back (Stones vs Burnley, Mangala vs Bristol City (h), Otamendi, Ferna and Stones vs the dippers, Walker last night), an increasing number of heavy touches and poor passes from Raheem and Leroy. Last night I thought Dave looked jaded too - understandably given what he’s been through - and collectively I think leading the pack by so much for so long, brings its own kind of pressure. We’re starting to look like Andy Murray serving for his first Wimbledon title that time when his serve deserted him completely in that final game and he just about staggered over the line.

Away from home in particular it’s been like Groundhog Day: Newcastle (a) 1-0 win when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up hanging on against a team with no ambition whatsoever, Palace (a) 0-0 draw when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up needing Eders to save a 90th minute penalty just to get a point, Liverpool (a) where in just 46 seconds of action (ie. ball in play) we gifted up 2 goals and let the dippers hit the post, Bristol City (a) when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up giving away 2 nothing goals and needed to score with the last kick of the match to win, Burnley (a) when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up letting them hit a post and then equalise, and then last night when after missing a sackful of chances we ended up conceding a soft as fuck winner from virtually the opposition’s only attack. What’s more is that, bar Liverpool, the other 5 teams we’ve faced on that run have all been fucking shite. We’re far enough ahead in the league surely not to fuck it up, but I’m far from convinced we’ll win anything else unless we can rediscover our erstwhile ruthlessness and mental sharpness. Maybe the returning Jesus will help, eh?
Cardiff ? Basel??

Cardiff ? Basel??

Basel we were very sloppy and could have easily been a couple down against better opposition.

I'm not sure whether it's mental fatigue, we've lost three games all season which in itself is pretty remarkable.

I think the return of injured players will have a huge boost on us. Even though I'm gutted about it, being out of the FA Cup gives us three less games to potentially contend with and another competition will be over on Sunday.

Basel we were very sloppy and could have easily been a couple down against better opposition.

I'm not sure whether it's mental fatigue, we've lost three games all season which in itself is pretty remarkable.

I think the return of injured players will have a huge boost on us. Even though I'm gutted about it, being out of the FA Cup gives us three less games to potentially contend with and another competition will be over on Sunday.
Basel we might also have won 8 1, we have been, and still are, superb this season

We lost because of a fuck up by walker, bar that wigan were shite and played like a brick wall, previous we lost to the scouser from again our fuck ups.

3 defeats in all comps this season and just come off the back of a 5-1 and 4-0 thrashing of leicester and basel.

We are fine (lose on sunday though and I may worry)

good post mate and the shaktar game was a dead rubber so i'm not even taking it into consideration and the other two were close calls apart from the mad 10 mins at klanfield

an issue worthy of discussion though is our chance conversion rate

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.