Julian Weigl

You know full well the game is much faster than it was when Pirlo was younger, and when he was older he had 3 other midfielders to run for him...is that what you're advocating?

There's a reason Weigl has always played in a 2, which means we'd need to drop Silva or De Bruyne to accommodate that player to hold his hand defensively.

The reason Weigl has always played in a 2, which he hasn't ALWAYS but let's just carry on, is that Dortmund have always generally played in a 2 or 3. This is like saying that Yaya has always played in a 2 or 3 so he's incapable of playing alone apart from all of those times he played successfully alone.

And Weigl's lack of athleticism is overrated. It's the typical adherence to physicality which out of every club on planet Earth, City fans should see is nonsense.

And he doesn't need anyone to "hold his hand" defensively. He's a better defender than every person currently employed by City including the centre backs.

We're looking at different things. You're looking at his body. I'm looking at his brain. I'm pretty sure he'll end up as a City or Barcelona player and in several years everybody would always have said that he was going to be great.

The reason Weigl has always played in a 2, which he hasn't ALWAYS but let's just carry on, is that Dortmund have always generally played in a 2 or 3. This is like saying that Yaya has always played in a 2 or 3 so he's incapable of playing alone apart from all of those times he played successfully alone.

And Weigl's lack of athleticism is overrated. It's the typical adherence to physicality which out of every club on planet Earth, City fans should see is nonsense.

And he doesn't need anyone to "hold his hand" defensively. He's a better defender than every person currently employed by City including the centre backs.

We're looking at different things. You're looking at his body. I'm looking at his brain. I'm pretty sure he'll end up as a City or Barcelona player and in several years everybody would always have said that he was going to be great.
Thats just bullshit

We're looking at different things. You're looking at his body. I'm looking at his brain.

Except we're not, because I already know he's a great player technically, I just don't think he has the ability to replace Fernandinho because like it or not, put it down to Englands his physical attributes are a big part of why he's able to play that role.

Any City fan who has seen Yaya play there in the last 2 years should be more than enough to show any City fan that ability on the ball isn't enough.

A more accurate line would perhaps be - you're looking only at his brain, I'm looking at both.

We need a Fernandinho regen and this kid isn't it.

He's already a better player than Fern, if not quite as versatile.

I just don't think he has the ability to replace Fernandinho because like it or not, put it down to Englands his physical attributes are a big part of why he's able to play that role.

This is the Premier League exceptionalism argument slightly modified. "Yeah but can he do it in England??!?!?!?!", etc. It's a crap argument, football is football is football.

Would you turn down a 25 year old Busquets due to his lack of mobility?

You may feel that you're looking at both, but I'm looking at the important one. You don't need mobility to defend if your brain is good enough. And his seems to be.

He's already a better player than Fern, if not quite as versatile.

This is the Premier League exceptionalism argument slightly modified. "Yeah but can he do it in England??!?!?!?!", etc. It's a crap argument, football is football is football.

Would you turn down a 25 year old Busquets due to his lack of mobility?

You may feel that you're looking at both, but I'm looking at the important one. You don't need mobility to defend if your brain is good enough. And his seems to be.
Please stop now

Having actually watched him live three times - I believe he will go on to become one of the very best midfielders in the world.

His footballing intelligence and instinct to gravitate to the open space is very rare in a role that usually takes years to learn.

He makes himself available each and every time, a get-out-of-jail-free card against every type of press.

Absolutely wonderful talent and having covered football all around the world, I can see why Pep has the horn for him.

Isn't Fred pretty much nailed on? which makes me question all these links to Jorginho, Weigl etc...

Having actually watched him live three times - I believe he will go on to become one of the very best midfielders in the world.

His footballing intelligence and instinct to gravitate to the open space is very rare in a role that usually takes years to learn.

He makes himself available each and every time, a get-out-of-jail-free card against every type of press.

Absolutely wonderful talent and having covered football all around the world, I can see why Pep has the horn for him.
I think you're right, but I still can't see how he fits in the squad as well as Fred and Fernandinho, would have thought it's one or the other.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.