Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are we talking about Matthew Syed?! He has written great articles about Pep, you know:

Manchester City recognise the value of space under the guidance of grandmaster Pep Guardiola

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...idance-of-grandmaster-pep-guardiola-r5snv7hdj
I'll take your word for it. I don't click on media links and haven't bought a paper for 30yrs. I came to the conclusion long ago that the opinions of the media are worthless. Just my opinion of course.

I'll take your word for it. I don't click on media links and haven't bought a paper for 30yrs. I came to the conclusion long ago that the opinions of the media are worthless. Just my opinion of course.

There are a lot of ideologues in the media, incl sport media but people like Matthew Syed are more interested in the abstract side of things. At least that's what I think.

However, I am truly shocked to discover he was a mouthpiece for Sampson in the Aluko case and that has put me off him for good.

Oh wow, that's shocking. Syed is dead to me now.

Anyway Syed's work is just a rip-off/rehash of Nicholas Nassim Taleb and Malcolm Gladwell's ideas.

The point I was making previously was specifically about his writing style, nonsense that some people expect him to write like Jamie Jackson or Neil Ashton - something he could not do if he tried to.
Syed was just a boring table tennis player, I don't know if he has paperwork to suggest he can be a journalist but degrees must have gone downhill.

Anyone wanting to get really angry just get today's Sun. It is absurdly OTT against City.

Four separate articles having a go!

Starts on page 17 as a news story 'Quadruple my arse' - (seriously that is the heading!) Which says that is why Aguero 'lashed out at a fan'. It adds some of the other things in the body of the article but the two photos are clearly designed to show Sergio as the one to blame. It says City are considering legal action. And that both clubs have been charged by the FA.

But nowhere mentions that the FA found Sergio innocent of any wrongdoing - a fairly critical fact that this story surely needed. As it is likely the only one non sports fans will read being located in the news section.

Then on page 48 we get 'Poor by Pep' from Dave Kidd saying he 'sarcastically pointed out' that Wigan had one shot on target (when it was two) it 'added to an air of entitlement that makes him difficult to love'.

Oh and he also suggests City are the second dirtiest team in the league (!!!). Because Delph's red was our ninth under Pep implying some link there. Completely irrelevant how many of those are widely regarded as unjustified or the provocation unpunished from other teams.

But his ludicrous rant ends by saying to City and Pep we should provide 'A little less moralising, pleading the victim and compiling dossiers for the FA' .

Then on page 50 we get 'Warnock puts boot in to Pep' lauding how that odious manager is crowing over Monday night and how Pep 'gets away with it' because he 'has a go at everybody when things aren't going well'.

This piece quite amazingly ends with the claim that 'Delph's tackle was ten time's worse than Bennett's but nothing much was said about it'.

The very next page (51) we have Neil Ashton with 'Sneering sarcastic n'Snippy - Guardiola bitching is not wise, classy or dignified'. That's just the heading!

With a page full - including a side bar illustrated by him appearing to attack Cook in the tunnel - headed 'His Crimesheet'. Seriously CRIMESHEET! Despite again the FA not acting on the matter and Pep not having had any serious punishments for all these 'crimes'. Of course, conveniently not mentioned.

The piece says he is feeling the pressure - which is what all these nasty little writers clearly want to try to make him do.

You have to get to the back page for a small piece 'Aguero in the clear'. And even that presents it as him being allowed to play Sunday - 'despite..,..' followed by yet another account and the claim that the FA will write to him to 'remind him of his responsibilities'.

Presumably like not getting injured by raging fans who should have been allowed nowhere near him? Though this is not mentioned, of course.

It is high time we acted against this kind of thing.

Those articles clearly cross the line from any kind of fair comment.

Mate just sent me a text with a link to an article on the Sun, not City related. I've not been on there for ages but couldn't believe how many anti-City and anti-Pep article there was on the "Sports" pages.

Frozen face aka Neil Ashton takes centre stage with a "comments" features that is full on contradictions. Won't be visiting that shite again, even by accident.

Oh wow, that's shocking. Syed is dead to me now.

Anyway Syed's work is just a rip-off/rehash of Nicholas Nassim Taleb and Malcolm Gladwell's ideas.

The point I was making previously was specifically about his writing style, nonsense that some people expect him to write like Jamie Jackson or Neil Ashton - something he could not do if he tried to.

I'm a bit confused because you seemed to be extolling the virtues of his writing style as an intellectual but now you are saying he's a bit shit. Would that still have been your opinion if he hadn't been outed as an unapologetic mouthpiece for Sampson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.