Would the league on its own be regarded as a failure?

I think the league on it's own would be a failure from the perspective of February 2018. We'd have all taken it last August.
The FA Cup defeat is a great demonstration of failure: More than 80% possession and hardly forcing a decent save from the Wigan keeper.
The League Cup will be failure if we balls up on Sunday simply because we are so much better than Arsenal most of the time. We are 27 points ahead of them after 27 games and they are often in disarray. But they were pretty much in disarray last year when we failed to beat them in the semi or at t'Emirates in the space of a few weeks. Please roll out the blind linesman excuse.
The CL is a different matter and losing to several of the remaining teams can hardly be classed as failure. However I wouldn't be too happy if we went out to Sevilla.

Not read all the thread, but in a word, no.
Regardless of our position pre Wigan, winning the league requires consistency over 38 games. The fa cup, only 6.
If we lose on Sunday and in the champions league final but sew up the league I'm more than happy. I still think we will only win the league by half a dozen points.
Monday's game we could have shored up for a replay, but that is the last thing we needed.

League titles are won over long periods and are the measure of a team, cups are knock out games of skill, luck and chance and a bonus not a barometer of how good a team is.

So to win the league is the best achievement in a season* so no it's not a failiure.

*will concede certain leagues like scotland and germany are exceptions to this as there is lack of competition.

Failure is the wrong word, but it would be a tad disappointing to not win anything else. Pep's football is miles better than anything we've ever seen at City, yet if we 'only' win the league this season, he'll have had two attempts and still not done better than Pellegrini in a season. Which would be utterly mental and unjust.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.