The National Anthem

Mad Eyed Screamer

Once again Blues will be asked to stand up and sing the national anthem at Wembley on Sunday.
As an atheist and anti royalist, I reject the national anthem. How can i ask some force / being that I do not believe exists, to save someone whose authority I reject?

I was there in 81 (twice), 86, 99 and 2011 against the rags and boo'd then and shall boo again watching on the tele in a bar in Tampa bay!

Once again Blues will be asked to stand up and sing the national anthem at Wembley on Sunday.
As an atheist and anti royalist, I reject the national anthem. How can i ask some force / being that I do not believe exists, to save someone whose authority I reject?

I was there in 81 (twice), 86, 99 and 2011 against the rags and boo'd then and shall boo again watching on the tele in a bar in Tampa bay!

Meh - its just a tune...............at least its not Ebony and Ivory ( see my post for worst song ever to put this in context )

Don't sing it then. No one is making you. I daresay you can even make it really obvious so everyone knows your view.

England must be the only country on the planet where it’s citizens or people who were born there would openly boo its national anthem.It’s a very weird thing to do, boo it.

I’m an atheist too, I like the royal family and whilst some may see this as being at odds with the other, I see them as a part of British democracy, albeit a small part.

I just get on with it and sing it but you’re well within your rights to boo it, strange and quite sad as it is.

I’m more concerned about the result and City winning.

Don't sing it then. No one is making you. I daresay you can even make it really obvious so everyone knows your view.
That's not my point. Do you believe in god? If you do you will be familiar with the bit about rich people not going to heaven yet the anthem asks god to save one of the richest women on the planet. Fuck that, how about saving the lives of the kids shot in school in Florida this last week?
How many national anthems are sung about an individual? No other..... time for a new one....

England must be the only country on the planet where it’s citizens or people who were born there would openly boo its national anthem.It’s a very weird thing to do, boo it.
Because the anthem is not about Britain but an individual born into wealth who doesn't give a shit about the peasants who are declaring their love for her. England fans singing it every 3 minutes make me cringe. It's sheep we're up against

That's not my point. Do you believe in god? If you do you will be familiar with the bit about rich people not going to heaven yet the anthem asks god to save one of the richest women on the planet. Fuck that, how about saving the lives of the kids shot in school in Florida this last week?
How many national anthems are sung about an individual? No other..... time for a new one....

Yes it is your point. You don't like it so you're going to tell everyone else you don't like it. Good for you.

No, I don't believe in God. So I can choose to ignore that, and not push my opinion on them. Don't sing it. Your call and good for you.

Whilst I don't agree with the religious sentiment, it is is our National Anthem, and as such I respect it.

Try booing the US National Anthem in the States and you'll struggle to get out alive.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.