The National Anthem

I think we should save booing for UEFA. We don't wany to water down the message.

That's it though. It isn't a song about the country. It's about an individual, a wealthy individual, and the peasants lap it up..... ''long to reign over us''.... fuck that, as lovely a person as she is.... she wasn't elected and nor were her family.
Let's have a new anthem.
I'm sure Morrissey could be consulted to write one ;)

OK, there we would have to revist our priorities, I'm sure both sides of the Monarchy debate could sign up to booing a Morrissey "tune".

Once again Blues will be asked to stand up and sing the national anthem at Wembley on Sunday.
As an atheist and anti royalist, I reject the national anthem. How can i ask some force / being that I do not believe exists, to save someone whose authority I reject?
Do you believe in capital punishment? Or do you not sing along to “Hang the DJ”?!

That said, I can see why people do not like having God Save the Queen as anthem. I personally would prefer Jerusalem.

I don't get why people would want our national anthem to be about a city in another country over 3k miles away.

Strangely, a person ruling by birth is probably more desirable than someone choosing power as a career path. The Queen sees her role as serving the country and appears to do it well. The national anthem is fine. It ain't shoved down one's throat like some, and you ain't perceived as some weirdo if you don't join in. True freedom, really.

I don't get why people would want our national anthem to be about a city in another country over 3k miles away.
'Jerusalem' is meant as a synonym for 'kingdom of heaven'. You know, like a paradise on earth kind of thing?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.