The National Anthem

I don't get why people would want our national anthem to be about a city in another country over 3k miles away.

The song wasn't it was about a story of jesus visiting glasto in his widerness years and tieing it in with the landscape at blakes time in england, and as the anglican church used jerusalem to mean heavan on earth, a hope that jesus second coming would be to england to bring eden to our industrial grim country.

England must be the only country on the planet where it’s citizens or people who were born there would openly boo its national anthem.It’s a very weird thing to do, boo it.

I’m an atheist too, I like the royal family and whilst some may see this as being at odds with the other, I see them as a part of British democracy, albeit a small part.

I just get on with it and sing it but you’re well within your rights to boo it, strange and quite sad as it is.

I’m more concerned about the result and City winning.

Its the BRITISH National Anthem although for things like the 6 Nations Ulster, Wales and Scotland do have an unofficial alternatives but England keeps God Save the Queen which does also remain the British anthem - watch todays rugby and you will see the Scots are not averse to booing the national anthem - this one isn't solely an English disease

I bet the Queen is sick of it. She's heard it more times than any of us!

She should issue a royal decree that the BBC should devise some kind of talent show to come up with a new anthem. You know, panel of four celeb judges, one from each of the four nations, premium rate phone number to call and the BBC have already decided who will win as it was recorded a day or two in advance, etc etc.

Proper British!

England must be the only country on the planet where it’s citizens or people who were born there would openly boo its national anthem.It’s a very weird thing to do, boo it.

I’m an atheist too, I like the royal family and whilst some may see this as being at odds with the other, I see them as a part of British democracy, albeit a small part.

I just get on with it and sing it but you’re well within your rights to boo it, strange and quite sad as it is.

I’m more concerned about the result and City winning.
Overt nationalism has always made the British uncomfortable. If you display it, people think you are either a right wing nutter, or a real chav. Always strikes me as odd that working class people generally are strong supporters of royalty, when they have suffered most from the free booting, land stealing thickoes.

Overt nationalism has always made the British uncomfortable. If you display it, people think you are either a right wing nutter, or a real chav. Always strikes me as odd that working class people generally are strong supporters of royalty, when they have suffered most from the free booting, land stealing thickoes.

Maybe beause the English are a reserved nation, no need to shout from the streets, unless you are on holiday when we then never stop dispaying our Englishness.

Scots and Welsh have no problem showimg pride in where there from.

Also who are these working class royalists? I don't know anyone who likes the monarchy or thinks we needs one. bar saying harry is alright amd lizzy has had a good innings.
Except for cockneys, them fuckers love her.

We need to keep GStQ as a royal anthem then 4 seperate anthems for each country/state.

Once again Blues will be asked to stand up and sing the national anthem at Wembley on Sunday.
As an atheist and anti royalist, I reject the national anthem. How can i ask some force / being that I do not believe exists, to save someone whose authority I reject?

I was there in 81 (twice), 86, 99 and 2011 against the rags and boo'd then and shall boo again watching on the tele in a bar in Tampa bay!

If morrissey never existed what’s the chance you wouldn’t hold these view

Isn't the anthem a political statement? If a republican song was sung I'm sure the FA would have something to say about it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.