Toys R Us gone

I have spent a few quid in Toys r us the last few years! Shops always seemed scruffy and staff generally had black eyes.

Not enough 'footfall' on these drive through shopping centres or strip-malls as they call them in the states to keep them afloat anymore. Indeed, if America is to seen as an example they'll be gone before long and there'll be a lot more to follow. Everythings so much cheaper online nowdays - not enough people can be bothered to go shopping as a family etc
This is the reason, regrettably, I can see plenty more businesses going the same way.
A consumer expert prior to Christmas was on TV saying that online toy shopping is growing rapidly, as is the case with
other goods, so rather than haul our arses around shops, mithered by fractious brats, we'd prefer to sit on our
arses clicking on screens.
Way of the world, I'm afraid.

The saddest thing is these retail units will stand empty for years on end. Still a few old Comet stores knocking about. Just bulldoze them and build some housing.

The saddest thing is these retail units will stand empty for years on end. Still a few old Comet stores knocking about. Just bulldoze them and build some housing.

not a bad idea, or hand them back to the community and let them develop the local area with shops using local produce, facilities for local children, needy and/or homeless, whatever the need is greatest in that area.

Most retail is failing all over unless they have a proper online presence. It's a lot cheaper. No local council charging huge rates. It's a shame as it's a great sight seeing all those toys end to end but inevitable.

For years I held shares in Intu Properties, which is the company that owns many shopping centres, The Trafford Centre being one. There were steady dividends and growth over many years. Over a year ago I sold the shares because it seemed clear that the retail landscape had shifted since I first bought them, and I couldn't see a bright future with the competition from the internet. Since then they have declined 25% so I'm glad I did.
You do wonder what the future is for bricks and mortar retail when it's so easy to find something on line where a) the choice is better and b) the price is better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.