Toys R Us gone

M and S Stockport is closing down in April.
That will be two large retail units empty in Stockport precinct after the BHS closure.
It will be even more of a wasteland than it is now.
And ToysRUs and Maplins.

That will be two large retail units empty in Stockport precinct after the BHS closure.
And ToysRUs and Maplins.

Not been to Stockport for about ten years! Depressing enough last time I went.

This was inevitable with the rise of online shopping. Same way Blockbuster and Comet went.

Until the Amazon drones take off seriously ironically I think a setup like long time high street retailer Argos have will be the other option moving forward, their model suits the current age. Browse online, reserve and pay and walk in an pick it up 30 mins later. I know Sainsburys bought them last year and have moved some stores into their supermarkets now. Smaller retail space, just need storage. Just an alternative to waiting 24-48 hours for Amazon.

Don't even bulldoze, just fit out the insides into low-cost apartment types?
I'm not an expert, and it sounds like a quick win, but I'd bet it's probably as cheap to flatten and start again in most cases what with all the services required, sewers, power etc..

Well, we tend to lament the loss of shops we didn't use and then there are inquests as to why they failed.

On a broader issue, it's not terribly healthy to have lots of empty store space, it kills towns and cities, so at some point we're going to have to as a society think deeply about how we ensure they have a chance against online. Business rates and so forth can cripple businesses competing against a web page, and charity shops can be a problem too if they're competing against businesses who have to pay those rates when they don't. Do I have the answer? Nope. But I'm sure we all want to ensure the survival of our town centres. I live in a village, and the residents do tend to specifically support the local shops precisely because it's a use them or lose them scenario.

And ToysRUs and Maplins.
Sounds like a deathnell for Stockport as a shopping centre.
My old town Stalybridge has closed pretty much with half the shops boarded up.

Funnily/interestingly shops here in Oz are doing very well, we dont really have town centres we have suburban Malls, huge places that offer mega food courts and cinema's, people go to cool off in the aircon, grab some lunch, maybe a film and do some shopping, even the grocery shopping is done in these malls, maybe this is the way things have to go in the UK to save bricks and mortar shops.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.