Dr Jacoby

Is anyone on BM currently on the Ketogenic diet?

And if so, what have your results been thus far?

After learning that it could potentially be of benefit to those with ADHD and autism, I decided to start the diet on Monday. It’s only day four but I am amazed at how difficult it is to restrict net carbohydrates to under 30 grams each day. I can only seemingly eat nuts, seeds, oils, meat, fish, eggs, cheese and a certain few vegetables.

I don’t know if it’s an indication that I have ‘Keto Flu’ but so far I have been quite tired and lightheaded throughout large periods of the day.

I'd not heard of it, but it sounds a bit like the Atkins diet I tried a few years ago. That was *astonishingly* successful for me. The hard part was the induction phase when you have to really restrict your carbs for the first few days and get into fat burning (ketosis???) mode. After that, it was a doddle and I ate like a king - loads of steaks and curry and god knows what else - and still lost 2 stone in 2 months! I had to stop in the end because I was getting too thin!

I'm not on it but I've read a lot about it on various health/fitness forums. Some people seem to have had good results but I think its too restrictive to be a realistic option for a lot of people.

How much weight do you want to lose and over what sort of timeframe?

I am a shade over 6ft and weigh about 65kg, so weight loss isn’t an aim of mine.

I am experimenting with the diet to see if my energy levels and attention span will improve.

And yes, such a carbohydrate restriction is somewhat of a deterrent.

Make sure you go and grab some MCT oil. It’ll do you absolute wonders.

Make sure you go and grab some MCT oil. It’ll do you absolute wonders.

Thanks. I add a teaspoon to my coffee each morning for the added fat requirement.

The Natural Calm magnesium supplement appears to be useful in overcoming the ‘Keto Flu’, which I believe occurs due to a depletion of electrolytes.

I am struggling with fatigue at the moment but I can’t complain about eating peanut butter, pork scratchings and pepperamis on a daily basis.

Did it last year to cure my Diabetes. Worked really well. But I was using it to lose weight as well as lower glucose levels. To get into Ketosis you need to be super strict for 3 or 4 days. Once in you can slacken off a little bit but not much. Only hard bit for me was Keto rash which was a woman. I'm about to start again now as my weight has crept up a bit over winter. If you are not looking to lose weight you will need to eat plenty but even if you don't you should find once you're in ketosis your energy levels will be better than when fuelling with carbs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.