Chelsea (H) Post Match Thread

Great job yesterday albeit against a team that showed absolutely no ambition for 80 minutes. There was that passage of play around 75 minutes where their midfield & defence was in a ‘they shall not pass’ formation about 30-35 yards out from their goal and made no attempt to pressure our players, who were about 15-20 yards inside the Chelsea half and clearly were quite nonplussed. Then Fabregas trots out halfheartedly to stand in front of Silva, who plays the ball sideways, whereupon Fabregas trots back into line. I could understand it if they were 1-0 up or even level but they were behind and really needed 3 points to keep them in the race for top 4. That’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen.

As we saw at Wigan, it’s so hard to get past a team that has 9 outfield players in front of you but everyone did so well, particularly Sane, Silva, Aguero and Zinchenko. The only negative was that Kyle Walker had a funny game, giving the ball away via poor passes in advanced areas about 6 times and allowing Chelsea to counterattack. Fortunately they all came to nothing but you could see his annoyance with himself.

Was it boring? Maybe it wasn’t end-to-end but that’s not our fault and I’d strongly disagree that it was boring.

I think Walker was knackered to be fair. Had Chelsea have tried to attack us in the last 30 minutes, I think they would have had countless chances. By the 70 minute point we had Walker, De Bruyne and Silva out on their feet. A good weeks rest for those three will be most welcome

Great job yesterday albeit against a team that showed absolutely no ambition for 80 minutes. There was that passage of play around 75 minutes where their midfield & defence was in a ‘they shall not pass’ formation about 30-35 yards out from their goal and made no attempt to pressure our players, who were about 15-20 yards inside the Chelsea half and clearly were quite nonplussed. Then Fabregas trots out halfheartedly to stand in front of Silva, who plays the ball sideways, whereupon Fabregas trots back into line. I could understand it if they were 1-0 up or even level but they were behind and really needed 3 points to keep them in the race for top 4. That’s one of the most bizarre things I’ve ever seen.

As we saw at Wigan, it’s so hard to get past a team that has 9 outfield players in front of you but everyone did so well, particularly Sane, Silva, Aguero and Zinchenko. The only negative was that Kyle Walker had a funny game, giving the ball away via poor passes in advanced areas about 6 times and allowing Chelsea to counterattack. Fortunately they all came to nothing but you could see his annoyance with himself.

Was it boring? Maybe it wasn’t end-to-end but that’s not our fault and I’d strongly disagree that it was boring.

I didn't think the game was remotely boring. Oh it was thrilling by any means but it was fascinating. A battle of concentration and a duel of contracting approaches.

I may be in the minority of not thinking Chelsea were particularly bad. I did though ask out loud what Chelsea's game was at the point the refer to above as it did almost look like they were just letting us win. However, they did do a very good job of limiting our chances; thankfully not quite good enough to stop us scoring one very vital but slightly scruffy goal.

They were abysmal going forward - but that was as much execution as tactics - with Kyle, as you mention, their key provider! Mind you, I thought in the first 30 minutes our defensive performance was as good as I have seen. We defended from the front so well that they just could not hurt us and, psychologically, that may have hindered them further.

Anyway, I was quite happy to have driven 360 miles (R/T) to enjoy that. The end of a superb "week". Such dominance hasn't been seen since Bride of Chucky.

I was thinking on the way to the match, that this game against Chelsea will be our toughest test at the Etithad to date, how wrong was I. They came with no ambition what so ever, and if I was a Chelsea fan I would be demanding my money back for this shambolic performance. The players didn't need to get out of 2nd gear and just strolled through the game without having to tire themselves to much ahead of the 2nd leg of the Champions league against Basle on Wed.

Chelsea weren't shambolic. They were highly organised and very difficult to beat; although easy to draw with.

I think Walker was knackered to be fair. Had Chelsea have tried to attack us in the last 30 minutes, I think they would have had countless chances. By the 70 minute point we had Walker, De Bruyne and Silva out on their feet. A good weeks rest for those three will be most welcome
you must have watched a different game, i didnt see anyone out on their feet. It wasnt as if it was a tough game physically. Walker's recovery pace was phenomenal he just gave the ball away cheaply in the wrong areas

Chelsea tactics were spot on, it was a draw all day if all their players did their jobs properly and concentrated for the entirety.

We'll face much more of the same against other tops teams in the Champions League when it comes to trying to close the lines and trying to rely on their individuals to make us pay on the counter.

Great effort from our lads and the passing always has intent, even if it doesn't look like it. Keeps the opposition moving and tiring out.

As Ederson has proved so adeptly, just because you can kick the ball as a goalkeeper, doesn't mean anything if you can't deliver it with absolute intent and precision.

We laugh at opponents when teams put the ball out of play so easily.

It's why I can't watch anyone but City these days on TV. We are being spoiled.

Everyone else seems to play a different version of the game which leaves me numb and confounded we accept it as normal for so long.

you must have watched a different game, i didnt see anyone out on their feet. It wasnt as if it was a tough game physically. Walker's recovery pace was phenomenal he just gave the ball away cheaply in the wrong areas
I watched a game where numerous times De Bruyne and Silva, in particular, were clearly struggling and suffering. A number of times Silva was on his haunches and De Bruyne stretching to keep the cramp away. Only to be expected after the little run we've had

After that game yesterday, I had a feeling inside me that was a bit different to what I had felt after other victories this season. Usually I am pumped up and my insides feel like those indigestion adverts, a burning fire of adrenelin and passion. The feeling I had yesterday was more like the warm glow from the old Ready Brek adverts. A quiet satisfaction, watching Chelsea just, to all intents and purposes, give up because they knew they couldn't even keep the ball. I know it isn't over yet, but for me that game felt like it was the final whistle of our domestic season.
What the last 3 games have done is confirmed to English football that we are are in a different class than the rest of the Prem. I honestly believe teams are more scared to play us than they are to play the likes of Barca and Madrid.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.