Mikel Arteta

I’m sure Arteta will learn much from Pep and it’ll be interesting to see how long he stays working under the master before going off to be his own man. If he’s got any sense he’ll stay with Pep for another 3 years and learn everything he can - a quick move to Everton or Arsenal will be a huge risk for all parties and would likely result in failure. Everton are in a bit of a mess and following the likes of Wenger will come with the same problems as following Busby or Ferguson. The thing that makes Pep so great is his obsessive personality, he’s so strategic yet so detailed, he’s incredibly intense - wants to talk and live football 24 hours a day. As a few have already said the things that make Pep stand out are the things that are totally unique to him. They can’t be passed on and they can’t be imitated. Arteta will have to learn what he can from the master but ultimately be his own man. As an aside it’s interesting that Pep learned from Cruyff but Pep’ interpersonal skills and Man management are streets ahead of Cruyffs - making them very different operators.

As a number 2 to Pep all he needs to learn is peps unwavering belief in his methods and won’t budge from it one iota! Like his first season with the 30+ fullbacks he new it would be difficult for them but he stayed true to what he believes in.

I think you are being overly dismissive. Arteta may or may not succeed as a coach, but he is working on a daily basis with the best coach in world football and someone who excels at improving his protégés. You don’t stop learning in your mid 30’s. Don’t think you can write him off at this stage.

I wasn't implying Arteta isn't learning in his 30s, hell you can learn things into your 80s. I'm just saying you aren't going to become a genius by spending time around one for a few years. Even as a 19 year old, they talked about Pep as a coach on the pitch.

Some are just born this way, you could similarly spend years around Messi but you aren't going to get close to playing like him as a result

I remember Brian Kidd was a great number 2 at the swamp .Didnt hack it as a Manager though .The leap is not always straightforward

Has there ever in football history been a manager who was groomed to be a successor, who actually became that successor and succeeded? I can honestly only think of the Liverpool appointments in the 70s and 80s. Football clubs have always coveted these number 2s to great managers but invariably they fail. Probably because they are cheap. Our very own Brian Kidd was one once and nearly became our manager. Being a successful manager requires a wide combination of skills, most of which are part of people's personality and you can't learn them. Being liked, being trusted, being a leader, being intelligent, being fair, handling pressure well...these things you can't learn.

I've no idea whether Arteta is a potential big name manager or not, but if he leaves he leaves. No big deal to me.

You are right, it isn't common but that doesn't mean it can't be done or that there is no value in trying to identify and prepare successors in-house. City have been proactive in trying to develop Paddy's post player career.

The club want to play a certain way and while every manager will be different, I imagine they would like a successor who understands and wants to apply positional play. Arteta may or may not be that man but if he (and the club) think he has that potential, the best place for him is by Pep's side.

Vilanova succeeded Pep at Barca and was doing OK but it's hard to be definitive due to the illness that cruelly ended his life.

Big fan of Arteta personally but genuinely think he is nowhere near ready to manage a side like Arsenal or Everton. He only has two years (after this season) of experience as an assistant! Wouldn't blame him for taking one of those jobs but those clubs should be aiming for someone with more experience.

I remember Brian Kidd was a great number 2 at the swamp .Didnt hack it as a Manager though .The leap is not always straightforward
I’m not saying the leap is straightforward, but sometimesthat first opportunity is a hiding to nothing...which is why you got that first opport7nity in the first place!

IMHO, it is too soon for Arteta, and he would be a fool to walk away from this Project, and living under Pep’s tutelage. After all, the pay packet and the glory must be second to none, and for taking training for a few of the lads coming back or needing some extra work?! Sign me up!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.