Benjamin Mendy (Back In Training)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we have seen with Walker on the other side, playing with wingers actually inhibits our full backs and it will be the same for Mendy.

We did see glimpses where there can be no spaces to run beyond because Sane or Sterling occupy the same spaces.

We have started to see Sane move into an old-fashioned inside left role in recent games, and who can forget the goal against Liverpool also when he went for a return and Mendy whipped it back from the by-line.

All the same, Delph does gives us more of a balance when it comes to staying back and becoming essentially a five in the middle.

The only way we will see the very best of Mendy and Walker's talents would be to go three at the back and essentially do away with our wingers, which ain't gonna happen.

Until we see how Mendy's short passing measures up, it is difficult to say beyond his incredible power and pace, how much further he will now elevates us.

For me, Delph would be City's player of the year at any other time.

Could have been the difference in the title race early on.

My view from what little I saw of Mendy at the start of the season was that he was exceptional on the front foot but left a bit to be desired when defending (tracking back, leaving space in behind). Delph is a more orthodox full-back in that respect. Can't compare the two as they are different type of player.
If anyone searches Youtube for the home match v Liverpool, you have a very raw defender, but going foward, wow. Those crosses in the box are excellent.

Worth noting Walkers assists and goals were reigned in as soon as Mendy was injured. When he;s back bet Walker starts to attack further forward in support of Raheem and Bernardo

As we have seen with Walker on the other side, playing with wingers actually inhibits our full backs and it will be the same for Mendy.

We did see glimpses where there can be no spaces to run beyond because Sane or Sterling occupy the same spaces.

We have started to see Sane move into an old-fashioned inside left role in recent games, and who can forget the goal against Liverpool also when he went for a return and Mendy whipped it back from the by-line.

All the same, Delph does gives us more of a balance when it comes to staying back and becoming essentially a five in the middle.

The only way we will see the very best of Mendy and Walker's talents would be to go three at the back and essentially do away with our wingers, which ain't gonna happen.

Until we see how Mendy's short passing measures up, it is difficult to say beyond his incredible power and pace, how much further he will now elevates us.

As others have mentioned in this forum, Walker makes loads of great forward runs but rarely gets the ball, to the point I feel sorry for him. Not sure if that is a deliberate tactic on City's part, with Walker used as a decoy.

Walker can't cross a ball like Mendy and I would expect City to try and play him in more. Also, Sane and Sterling can both move inside and be effective. I don't think we have to go back three to get best out of Walker and Mendy.

What we do have with Mendy, Delph and the Man of Zinc is great tactical options at LB.

Well according to what I've read in this thread we've spent £40 million on a full back who can't defend and doesn't track back.

Txiki out!

We'll see Mendy overlap to let Sané come inside to score more goals. Mendy also loves to run inside the fullback which I'm sure we'll see alot when Sané does take the right back out wide.

We'll see Mendy overlap to let Sané come inside to score more goals. Mendy also loves to run inside the fullback which I'm sure we'll see alot when Sané does take the right back out wide.
I agree, they could potentially be a deadly combination. Really excited to see it come to fruition next season.

Some people are La La land . Mendy coming back makes us a much much better team .

Delph cost us a few stupid goals trying to clear long balls. He done a job and thats it . I actually preferred Zinchenko playing instead of him.

Some people are La La land . Mendy coming back makes us a much much better team .

Delph cost us a few stupid goals trying to clear long balls. He done a job and thats it . I actually preferred Zinchenko playing instead of him.

Mendy isn't particularly good defensively though tbf and I'd be very surprised if Mendy is notably better. He's an attacking FB first and foremost.

A very reasonable assessment. In saying that, Mendy has only played 4 games for us. Delph has 40; Walker 27. No one can conclusively say how Mendy's attributes will affect us tactically. However, I imagine Pep wouldn't have spent £52m for Delph to be our left back. I imagine Pep will develop and mould Mendy to becomes a LB of his liking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.