Singing section/Atmosphere

I didn't say it wasn't. But were they watching the match, when Jesus scored they didn't react to it, they carried on.
Heaven forbid a goal gets in the way of the singalong

I can explain it to you in a bit.

It's all down to nurture.

no, they wouldn't. You go to football to watch the football and anything else is a sideshow. If you go for any other reason then you're not really a supporter, because you're not even watching the game so how can you be supporting them? You're just organising your entertainment and pissing about, as the Basel fans did all night.

Completely disagree with this.

If you go to a match with the sole intention of watching the game you're a spectator. We currently have 50,000 spectators at every match. A supporter is someone who SUPPORTS the team.

The Basle fans SUPPORTED their team for 90 minutes by completely drowning out our spectators. There are countless examples of players saying fans singing and supporting them from the stand helps. Whether you take this for proof or not I think it's safe to say that us 'supporters' have a role to play in football which involves creating an atmosphere.

I think our fans have been embarrassing this season. Considering we're cruising to the league title, have a trophy in the bag and we're in the last 8 in Europe. It's genuinely shocking that those that turn up literally don't make a noise. The 'traditional' British atmosphere has died a death - hence why pretty much every English top flight club has a group organised to tackle how shit their atmosphere has become. I don't think we'll every have a bouncing/traditional atmosphere ever again because our fans simply don't have the appetite to contribute to it on mass. Basel proved you can create good atmosphere with a small number of people - but you need a drum/capo/banners/flags/scarves...

If you go to a match with the sole intention of watching the game you're a spectator. We currently have 50,000 spectators at every match. A supporter is someone who SUPPORTS the team.

The Basle fans SUPPORTED their team for 90 minutes by completely drowning out our spectators. There are countless examples of players saying fans singing and supporting them from the stand helps. Whether you take this for proof or not I think it's safe to say that us 'supporters' have a role to play in football which involves creating an atmosphere.

I think our fans have been embarrassing this season. Considering we're cruising to the league title, have a trophy in the bag and we're in the last 8 in Europe. It's genuinely shocking that those that turn up literally don't make a noise. The 'traditional' British atmosphere has died a death - hence why pretty much every English top flight club has a group organised to tackle how shit their atmosphere has become. I don't think we'll every have a bouncing/traditional atmosphere ever again because our fans simply don't have the appetite to contribute to it on mass. Basel proved you can create good atmosphere with a small number of people - but you need a drum/capo/banners/flags/scarves...

Bang on. And it's not just the JCLs/tourists that have been the culprits either. Plenty of long-standing fans who would sooner sit/stand with arms folded and can't be arsed making a contribution.

So, as someone who doesn't sing, dance or play the drums you're saying I'm not a proper fan. Are you seriously measuring the quality of being a fan by the amount of singing done.

It's a good job I always stay till the end. In fact I usually stay until the team have left the pitch.
Does that go some way to satisfy you're proper fan criteria

To the tune of Chelsea's taunt about us never winning the European Cup...

You'll never see that, you'll never see that, football like City's, you'll never see that.

We can pretty much sing that to everyone in England, but would be especially pertinent when Jose's bus turns up again?

In your opinion of course. I'm not the biggest fan of the choreographed chanting that a lot of these continental fans indulge in but it's still far better than standing there in complete silence and moaning about the noise they're making.

Aris fans were the loudest fans I've ever witnessed at that stadium and they smash every English club into oblivion for atmosphere. So fucking what if some of it was choreographed - they were fantastic and it takes a lot of energy to go at it for 90 minutes flat out. I don't give a fuck that they weren't reacting to events on the pitch - attending a football match should never entirely be about what goes on on the pitch anyway (IMHO of course).
Fruity!

To the tune of Chelsea's taunt about us never winning the European Cup...

You'll never see that, you'll never see that, football like City's, you'll never see that.

We can pretty much sing that to everyone in England, but would be especially pertinent when Jose's bus turns up again?

well they will because they're in the same ground as us, watching it.

you will never get a good atmosphere until standing comes back. singing whilst sitting down makes people feel daft and if you stand up someone will complain and the stewards will be on your case. bring back terraces and it will be fine

I sit and sing plus I get really fed up of people saying/believing that it is only the people who stand who can sing!! Even at away matches I sit and I sing and shout. Just because you are young enough to stand doesn't mean you are the only ones who can sing. We have a new steward in front of us and he is just about getting used to my sudden songs and shouts. I sing, but then I will shout to encourage the players e.g. 'Come on Baby Kev' when Zinchenko is making one of his runs or trying to pass to another player, 'Go for it Leroy', 'Give him a hug after the match' when one of the opposition players tries to pull our player back by putting his arms round him. In other words I temper my songs/shouts to go with what is happening on the pitch not what other people tell me to do!!! I'm there to watch football and Manchester City and if that encourages me to sing and shout then so be it. Most games the excitement is such that I'm singing practically the whole way through. I don't feel daft, I feel exhilarated, maybe others think I look/sound daft but tough that's me. :-)

Last night when the Basel fans were doing their coordinated circus acts I couldn't help thinking are they really watching the game or just making a noise. Granted I couldn't understand what they were chanting but it sounded like the same thing over and over again, monotonous and not what I go to a match for. As someone has said earlier, it just gets boring.

Rant over. Nothing to see here but a fan/supporter supporting her team!!

So, as someone who doesn't sing, dance or play the drums you're saying I'm not a proper fan. Are you seriously measuring the quality of being a fan by the amount of singing done.

It's a good job I always stay till the end. In fact I usually stay until the team have left the pitch.

He never once said your not a proper fan. Each to their own but ut Sort of defeats the purpose of having home advantage of everyone is gonna sit in silence and observe what's going on, get behind the lads cheer them on it'll make a difference! In my opinion it's why we have struggle going to places like Celtic park and anfield it's intimidating

Look, no-one’s saying that everyone should sing and no-one’s saying that those who don’t sing are any less of a fan than those that do, but in a thread about the singing section and atmosphere, if you’re just going to slag off those that are making the effort and not offer up anything constructive - and that includes constructive criticism of some of the methods being used to try and improve things as we welcome feedback of both a positive and negative nature - then I don’t see why anyone would bother posting on this thread, unless they’re doing it with the intention of shit-stirring. And believe me, we’ve had our fair share of shit-stirrers on this thread over recent months.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.