Alan Oakes

Why did Leeds and Derby decline to play ?
I think the more successful clubs started to prefer organised pre-season tours. The following season we played Burnley at Maine Rd in the Charity Shield, we hadn't won anything and Burnley were 2nd tier champs. It was probably down to Swales's influence at the FA that we staged it. The FA then started to play it at Wembley from 1974 and suddenly the champions and Cup-winners were interested again.

Alans brother,Ken,is my best mate.
Alan hates football nowadays and wouldn`t cross the street to watch a game.His words to me.
Yes. I remember him not really being into it any longer. The first time I ever spoke to him I had my 1976 retro top on. But like you said, he's not that bothered about football any longer but loves golf. Think he goes in that Sandiway club on the 556

Yes. I remember him not really being into it any longer. The first time I ever spoke to him I had my 1976 retro top on. But like you said, he's not that bothered about football any longer but loves golf. Think he goes in that Sandiway club on the 556
Yes thats his club.
He`s been asked on numerous occasions by City to go along to a match,but he`s no longer in love with the game.
My name is the same and we`re from the same town.I started supporting City which was down to his cousin Glyn Pardoe,who used to take me to home games when I was 13 years of age.

Yes thats his club.
He`s been asked on numerous occasions by City to go along to a match,but he`s no longer in love with the game.
My name is the same and we`re from the same town.I started supporting City which was down to his cousin Glyn Pardoe,who used to take me to home games when I was 13 years of age.
WOW! ! Getting a lift from a City legend at 13.. Kudos. I had to contend with my dad's moaning in his Toyota Carina, or the 88 bus then the match bus from Aytoun street. Ha Ha

WOW! ! Getting a lift from a City legend at 13.. Kudos. I had to contend with my dad's moaning in his Toyota Carina, or the 88 bus then the match bus from Aytoun street. Ha Ha
When I reached the age of 14,three of us starting going via the train from Northwich to Oxford Road and then we`d walk through Moss Side to Maine Road.Happy days with Mums flask of Oxtail Soup being a life saver on those bloody cold winters games.

I used to live about 100 metres away from Alan on London Rd in Davenham. Every so often on the weekend I'd be walking up to the newsagents to grab a paper and I'd see him and walk up with him. It was a surreal experience at first because he's such a City legend. Anyway, what a lovely guy he is and the most quiet and unassuming man you could ever meet. He tends to shy away from the limelight and football in general tbh. Loves his golf I believe. See his oldest lad in the Oddies ( not the ex Wolves keeper one) occasionally and he's a good lad..BUT A RAG!!

Jonathan Oakes is not a rag

Yes thats his club.
Similar for me I started watching City when I finished national Service, because of Alan and Glyn. I was pleased and excited going to watch City then, even more so now I must say. So thank you to both of them for getting me started.

When I reached the age of 14,three of us starting going via the train from Northwich to Oxford Road and then we`d walk through Moss Side to Maine Road.Happy days with Mums flask of Oxtail Soup being a life saver on those bloody cold winters games.
Was the Hovis theme tune in the background whilst you were writing that pal? ? :-D Great days though hey mucker.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.