Match of the Day - 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

In his heyday, he was very good (always preferred Barry Davies myself though). But that day has long since passed, and he's painful to listen to now. He really should have retired a few years back. Anyway; I hope he has a happy retirement.
Can't stand the constant tirade of facts and trivia "That's the 23rd time a player born under Sagittarius has scored in two consecutive games away from home. Remarkable."
Preferred Tony Gubba, Alan Weeks, Barry Davies and David "one nil" Coleman back in the day.
That's when commentary was about the game in play rather than harping back to the match played last week / month / season. And of course the travesty of Mane getting sent off.

The greatest commentary by any commentator was David Coleman Everton v City fa cup quarterfinal 81, his comment of it’s bedlam around the ground was probably the most apt I’ve ever heard, just before power scored he said city gambling to excess, if you ever get to watch the bbc highlights listen closely to his commentary, he made Tyler and neville sound like smash n nicey

In his heyday, he was very good (always preferred Barry Davies myself though). But that day has long since passed, and he's painful to listen to now. He really should have retired a few years back. Anyway; I hope he has a happy retirement.

My favourite Motson stuff up remains the Germany 1, England 5 game, where he called it the best result "since the war".

Think Moston and Davis did the majority of Match of the day commentaries in the 70s which were usually 2 per week

Always remember Gerald Sinstadt as he was the North West Commentator for ITV

But preferred Hugh Jones who did the Midlands games

Barry Davies was my favourite, as he didn't batter our ears with a constant stream of facts, stats, references, or state the bleedin obvious (as so many current ones do. "He's shot well wide.." - yes, we can see he has!!!!).
He knew the virtue of periods of silence. The great Richie Benaud's adage "If you can't add to the picture, say nothing " is perhaps more applicable to cricket, but it can also apply to football in many circumstances.

Agreed. I don't know if his radio commentary is better as he has to describe play, and the trivia has become more intrusive. Absolutely football-mad, and rarely descends into cynicism or populism about the game. I hope the crowd on Sunday are told and he gets a good send-off.

I'd still prefer to listen to him than to Jonathan Pearce screaming into his microphone.

Not his biggest fan, but deserves respect. Maybe he'll get the chance to scream ROONEY! one final time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.