US vs UK culture

I've lived in the U.S. for 30 years now,longer than i lived in England. They dont have a culture, they have adopted everyone else's ,& made it to suit...Its called bastardisation ...the american way

The transport differences are indeed stark regarding public transport. If you live in Texas and can't drive, you'd probably starve to death, although one of their breakfasts will last you about a decade.
Very friendly helpful people generally everywhere, and they love us Brits.
Southerners, for me, are amongst the most polite and well mannered people anywhere.

Yesterday was my fourth anniversary of moving to the States from the UK. Agree with much that has been said on here; Americans are generally more positive and have a "can do" attitude. British culture tends to focus on reasons why something can't or won't work. Perhaps the place where that is most evident is in customer service, although Brits often find American servers over-attentive in restaurants. This is because for most Brits, going out to eat is a rare treat, whereas for many Americans it's a daily choice, so speed is king.

(Incidentally, on the tipping culture, the reason why it's 15%+ is because restaurants are only required to pay their staff a little over $2 per hour, with the rest being expected to be made in tips)

I've found that much of this tends to be underpinned by a fundamental - and extreme - difference in work ethic; Brits work to live, whereas Americans live to work. Neither of these extremes are particularly fulfilling (Many Brits hate their jobs and live for holiday, some Americans never take a days vacation in their career).

Where are you thinking of visiting? As people have said, there are many Americas.

I get the 'larger vehicle' thing to an extent, but the adverts I see in the states make no sense. Why does someone see a pickup truck pulling a trailer with a full Cat excavator on it, with the voiceover going on about the weight the pickup can pull, and think 'that is what I need for my daily commute'?
Depends how fat your kids are

The septics don't have a Royal family and the history that goes with that.
They call football, 'soccer ball'.
World series baseball is something that only the yanks bother with - this shows a level of arrogance to me. (Something that is only played in America can be called a World sport).
They put people on the moon, we built Concorde.
We have had some of the greatest writers who have ever lived. Shakespeare , Dickens etc.
America bailed us out in WW2, we have been coerced into supporting them in ill conceived campaigns ever since.
They struggle with English.

this is one of the main differences, which means the streets of our cities are safer in the UK. 30,000 gun deaths per year in US, 50 - 100 per yea in UK (uk population about 20% of US population).
Other main difference is free healthcare UK for everyone.

other than that its pretty similar as far as I can see. My perspective is based on being english with an american wife.

Guns aren't the end all, be all of making streets safer. There's knives, club's, organised "asian" paedo gangs which governments overlook for fear of offending people.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.