Giving way to an Ambulance question

smeeagain

Does anyone here know the rule ,if you,re waiting at a red light and an ambulance is blocked in 3 cars behind with blue flashinglights and sirens going ,
is it legal to go through the red light in order to free off traffic behind and let the ambulance make progress
I,ll be honest I hadnt a clue what to do ! luckily the lights changed promptly enough and we all crawled forward to let him through .

Does anyone here know the rule ,if you,re waiting at a red light and an ambulance is blocked in 3 cars behind with blue flashinglights and sirens going ,
is it legal to go through the red light in order to free off traffic behind and let the ambulance make progress
I,ll be honest I hadnt a clue what to do ! luckily the lights changed promptly enough and we all crawled forward to let him through .

I believe it’s still illegal, I read somewhere that if there are cameras and you get done there is no right to appeal.

You do whatever you can to get the feck out of the way. As long as you don't endanger yourself or others.
The good news is if you fuck up your manoeure, there's an ambulance just there to help you out!! ;)
Incorrect. You are not allowed to break the rules of the highway code. The emergency vehicle should find another way round or wait until you are able to proceed.

I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that you're not allowed to run a red light, even to allow an emergency vehicle through, without a clear instruction from a police officer. If you did run the light, and were involved in some type of collision, the insurance implications could be messy.

No, you're supposed to take reasonable action to get out of the way, breaking a red light is unreasonable. You're not making life easier for the emergency services by causing another crash.
In that scenario just pull as far left as you can without crossing the furthest stop point line.

No, you're supposed to take reasonable action to get out of the way, breaking a red light is unreasonable. You're not making life easier for the emergency services by causing another crash.
In that scenario just pull as far left as you can without crossing the furthest stop point line.

This is correct.

In regards the ambulance in such a situation,while there is no clear path to proceed,the driver should silence the sirens only,so as not to cause unnecessary panic to other road users.

This is correct.

In regards the ambulance in such a situation,while there is no clear path to proceed,the driver should silence the sirens only,so as not to cause unnecessary panic to other road users.

Can attest this never happens that I see on a daily basis. The ambulance driver typically lays on their horn or air horn until everyone moves through the intersection or to the side out of their way. Not saying you are wrong, just that regs and common practice seem to differ.

Can attest this never happens that I see on a daily basis. The ambulance driver typically lays on their horn or air horn until everyone moves through the intersection or to the side out of their way. Not saying you are wrong, just that regs and common practice seem to differ.
I'm not wrong in regards the UK,i don't know what the regulations are in America.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.