Ken Mulhearn RIP

29137039_10216062915748463_948461141258928128_n.jpg
I'd forgotten what a good looking dude he was.
Once again RIP Ken.

Ken was regarded a legend at my club, Shrewsbury Town, and he was a boyhood hero of mine. His passing is so sad as he appeared so fit and well in relatively recent times and, by modern standards, was not an old man.

It's lovely to see his passing marked so well on this forum and it is a great credit to your fans that you do so.

Ken's grandson, Harry Lewis, is also a goalkeeper. A Shrewsbury lad, who represented England under-18 whilst with us, he has since moved on for a sizeable fee to Southampton (currently on loan at Dundee United). Hopefully Harry can carry on the family tradition of fine goalkeeping.

RIP Ken, thanks for so many great memories.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/spor...ewsbury-goalkeeper-ken-mulhearn-dies-aged-72/

Thanks for sharing that, always interesting to hear how ex-blues are viewed by fans of other clubs they played for.

And will look out for Harry Lewis from now on.

I think that Harry Dowd was a great goalkeeper. Unfortunately he was rather too short to cut it as a top line goalkeeper. I can recall when Harry was battling with the emerging Joe Corrigan for the gloves, it would appear that Harry was having a blinder but conceded two or three goals. Joe appeared to be having a ‘mare conceding one goal.

Alan Ogley had some heat games for City including one away to Southampton in a 1-0 defeat. The Saints fans were so impressed by his performance that a picture of him was put up in the supporters club. I suspect that the club thought they could do better as backup for Dowd and arranged a straight swap deal with Stockport County for Ken. I don’t think any fee was involved and the two players were of similar ages.

I recall Ken being fairly solid in goals but with Tony Book sweeping and Heslop and Oakes in central defence, maybe he had an easy time that season. When Book had a bad injury in the subsequent season, City struggled in the League at least. I didn’t see the Fenerbahçe match in question so I can’t comment on the perceived mistake by Ken. I suspect that City lost the tie by failing to win the home leg.
Us old uns will remember joe Corrigan in his early days. He was dreadfull, worse than Bravo. He waa dropped for quite some time. When he got back in he was outstanding, as in one if our best ever keepers. He was called up for England but his chances were limited by shilton and clemence who oddly were rotated every other game by the manager as he simply could choose a number one from the pair. He was right. Both were that good.then again so was joe.

A sad loss, yes Ken was part of the last all ENGLISH SIDE to win what was back then called the 1st Division. I can't see that ever being done again. R.I.P. KEN.

Ken was the keeper when i first started following City with my uncle and i remember him fondly! Wasn't it him who used to keep a comb in his goalkeeping bag back then or have i got Ken mixed up with someone else?

RIP Ken and thanks for all you did for our great club!

I may have gotten Ken mixed up with Alan Ogley on the comb issue!
If i have, sorry Ken :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.