New Southampton manager - Mark Hughes

I thought he did a great job under the circumstances, which were utter turmoil with people selling players behind his back & all kinds of rumours kicking off. We weren't even an established europa league team, so we had to persuade players to sign, sometimes rather than stay at teams who were expected to play in the Champs Lg & was also supposed to do it by playing attacking football.

We played some of the best football I saw us play for many years & almost got to a cup final just as he was sacked.

He didn't have quite enough to take us where we wanted to go, but he built the first part of it, bringing in several club legends.
My thoughts exactly after the dross we'd watched for the previous 30 odd years it was like watching Brazil was at the 3-3 at Bolton fantastic game,don't think he could take us much further but he was the start of where we are now. Add to that when we when we lost to the Rags 4-3 he looked like he was about to twat the GPC.

Managerial merry go round ,no matter how shite they do , the likes of BFS , Hughes , Pullis , Pardew always get another club and eventually a big fat pay off , the best current English manager is Eddie Howe plays football the right way , hopefully there will be a new wave of English managers like Johnson at Bristol City who will get a chance , quite tiresome seeing the same old stagers stealing a living with their ant-football.
Don't think you can class Hughes as playing anti football,his teams are usually worth watching and try to play on the front foot.

Not totally chuffed but, I couldn't think who would be the best one for the job at this moment in time.
We should have sacked the too scared to lose Argie a long time ago.

I thought he did a great job under the circumstances, which were utter turmoil with people selling players behind his back & all kinds of rumours kicking off. We weren't even an established europa league team, so we had to persuade players to sign, sometimes rather than stay at teams who were expected to play in the Champs Lg & was also supposed to do it by playing attacking football.

We played some of the best football I saw us play for many years & almost got to a cup final just as he was sacked.

He didn't have quite enough to take us where we wanted to go, but he built the first part of it, bringing in several club legends.

i agree, especially with ireland we played some great football that season. i think a lot of city fans just never liked hughes because he used to play for united. ...

Decent club Southampton. Feel sorry for them. They have been brave and innovative with their appointments, just one has failed(due to more squad pillaging) Pellegrino. Even he signed some pretty good players. So one semi failure and they jump on the tried & trusted failure merry go round.
This plank being back in the Prem is just daft. Loads of talented managers out there.

Agreed. Pellegrino was on a hiding to nothing with the squad he inherited, as Southampton had sold all their best players and not replaced them with similarly talented lads.

However, the Saints' board deserve all they get for sacking Puel, when he’d guided them to eighth. I really don’t know what they expected.

Has he said the training ground isn’t fit for purpose yet?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.