Travel ideas European away day, Liverpool

For anyone who's not sure what currency to take, a brief #istory. (Liverpool have lot's of #istory, but no PL title #istory)

The currency used to be called 'Stanley'. It was used all the time, especially when the Manc's visited.

Now it's the 'Norwegian krone', which is available all over Liverpool city centre, and around Anfield.

If you get lost in Liverpool, don't worry and calm down.

The Scousers are famous the world over for being friendly.

IMG_2358.jpg

If I remember rightly, when Liverpool played Chelsea in the Champions league the fans did treat the away leg like a proper Euro away game and had their flags up in Trafalgar square etc.

I spent nearly four hours this morning sorting out possible permutions and costs of getting to Barcelona, Madrid, Munich, Roma, Seville and Turin, including the possibility of a six day holiday break at three of them.
Had them all written down neatly in a list and then when the draw was made I looked down the list and went 'doh'.

Only four hours? They all looked expensive, especially the first week (Easter hols). Still, half of them will be useful research for the semis. And if we got Turin I'd fancy via Nice and the scenic train (plus two spirals in a mountain) via Tende and Cuneo.

2 nights away in st helens
Ah, St Helens, where they keep their money under a mattress as they think no-one will look in the front garden. (Copyright, Milton Jones)

And that Korean Billy is funny: does Manc too: Mind you, his Lancashire one could get you in trouble: "cock" means mate, so it's OK to call someone a cock!

Last edited:
A quick look on the .gov travel website and it advises against all but essential travel to Merseyside especially the City of Liverpool.

Crime is prevalent.

"Be alert to the risk of street crime and armed robbery at all times. Foreigners are at particular risk of street robbery in Liverpool, especially near hotels and supermarkets in the centre of town. Robberies by gangs of street children are increasingly common and can be aggressive.

Robberies by people posing as taxi drivers or taxi customers are increasingly common in Liverpool, and are often accompanied by a threat of violence. You should avoid using any taxis in Merseyside. If you must take a taxi, use a privately booked one. Don’t hail taxis on the street.

Car jackings are rare but not unheard of. There have been reports of an increase in criminal activity in North and South Liverpool specifically targeting the international community. There have been many reports of robberies and banditry in Croxteth, Anfield & Toxteth after dark.

Don’t walk in the streets alone at any time, especially at night. Avoid displaying valuables and cash. Use a hotel safe if possible and keep copies of documents, including your passport separately.

Some gangs use girls to lure people into traps; others promise cut-price home appliances and in car entertainment or pose as police or security forces. There is a risk of arbitrary arrests of foreigners by security authorities who demand payment for release."

Seel street and duke street awesome for bars if you are staying over!

But on a serious note they drive on the other side of the road there dont forget.

Are there any £1 National Express tickets left or has the price rocketed?

Another idea for the afternoon - get a Stone Roses tribute band to play at nearby Spike Island in Widnes. Recreate the spirit of 1990 Madchester.
Then march to the station (where Paul Simon wrote Homeward Bound) and onto Anfield.

Only four hours? They all looked expensive, especially the first week (Easter hols). Still, half of them will be useful research for the semis. And if we got Turin I'd fancy via Nice and the scenic train (plus two spirals in a mountain) via Tende and Cuneo.

Ah, St Helens, where they keep their money under a mattress as they think no-one will look in the front garden. (Copyright, Milton Jones)

And that Korean Billy is funny: does Manc too: Mind you, his Lancashire one could get you in trouble: "cock" means mate, so i's OK to call someone a cock!

Most interesting deal I could find was a week’s holiday 30km north of Barcelona, overlooking the beach for £422. Now I’m going to be overlooking sand dunes!

I would recommend staying outside the city. There’s a great place about 35 miles east of Liverpool with better bars, hotels and restaurants with excellent road and rail links. Bit like staying in Düsseldorf for Monchengladbach.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.