Ant and Wreck.....

I'm as liberal as they come. However repeat offenders of drink driving really fuckin grates on me. So i take it your not in favour of removing someone's licence permanatly, if they are caught 3. 4. 5 times?
No, I think that's fair enough and not what I was referring to. Banning someone for life in those circumstances could readily be described as condign.

I don't think sending someone to prison for an offence like that achieves anything, other than satisfying a retributive urge in others.

The technology is there to curtail people's freedoms in way that wasn't available (or conceived of) when the penal system we are broadly subject to today was first devised 150 or so years ago. Electronic tags and restrictive curfews, alongside onerous work in the community requirements are a much more effective and productive way of dealing with many crimes in my opinion. Cleary if people don't comply with those requirements then there has to be the ultimate sanction of imprisonment, but only as a last report. I say this, not because I'm an inveterate liberal (which I am) but because I don't believe prison works, in instances such as that.

As I've previously stated, if someone presents an everyday and present danger to the wider community by virtue of being at large, then they need to be removed from society, but I wouldn't classify Ray Wilkins as dangerous in that sense, even though I accept that driving a car whilst pissed is of itself dangerous. I'm talking about sexual predators and people with an extreme and well established history of violence.

What other things? Fiddling with a radio? Knock yourself out...if you crash then it's your fault. You will probably be done for reckless driving or something similar if anyone else is injured. Or just leave it alone. That's down to you. As is the rest. You are an adult. Knock yourself out. None of it is illegal.

Drink driving is.

Some, arguably most, of those examples are illegal. But my point is more on the morality of it. All of them are as equally as immoral and selfish as drink driving if they lead to the same loss of control of the vehicle. If they lead to more loss of control of the vehicle then they are more immoral in my view. Yet they're not treated with the same anger and in certain cases in this thread (not necessarily your opinion btw), hysteria. I agree that it is rightly a crime when a person reaches a certain level of intoxication, but I don't think that level ought to be zero tolerance in the same way that speeding shouldn't be zero tolerance. As terrible and cuntish as people might think this is, I've driven with a small amount of alcohol in my system the day after a night out (not out of habit) and hand on heart I can honestly say, it didn't impair my driving ability whatsoever (in the same way that I've exceeded the speed limit without losing control of the car). Over a certain limit, it obviously would but I've felt significantly less in control trying to find a decent radio station yet I doubt people would be calling for me to be locked up/hanged for that.

Not condoning what he did at all but I don't think the lad is well at all. Just looking at him when he is off air tells you he is not in a good place. Hope he gets himself sorted for his own sake and the protection of others.

Feel very sorry for him.
Wife has divorced him and suffers with depression.
World can be shit at times. Get well mate.

I find it amusing that celebraties immediately get the sympathy card given them.

Anyone else doing this is labelled a ****.

The guy is a fool and should be punished accordingly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.