Liverpool thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said. I was upset when Sterling left, he was a first-team player and actually, Id take him over Mané this season. I think hed fit really well back into our team too. But it is how it is I guess

I never understand why it bothers people when their team is called a selling club. Does it really matter? I'd say most clubs (if not all) would sell players if they got what they considered to be a ridiculously high price. Look at Neymar to PSG etc. If you can get a good fee for a player and strengthen the team overall, then surely that's better than having one superstar and not really going anywhere.

The problem is only if you sell and don't buy the right players to create an overall stronger team..

I never understand why it bothers people when their team is called a selling club. Does it really matter? I'd say most clubs (if not all) would sell players if they got what they considered to be a ridiculously high price. Look at Neymar to PSG etc. If you can get a good fee for a player and strengthen the team overall, then surely that's better than having one superstar and not really going anywhere.

The problem is only if you sell and don't buy the right players to create an overall stronger team..

That’s true I guess.

In fact if you use my definition of a selling club. Barcelona would be defined as such with the Neymar transfer. Lol.

So that doesn’t quite work. Oops.

Every club can be classed as a selling club. However its the players that are sold that will define where the ambition of the owners are. Would you class Southampton as a selling club. As for every player you have bought from them how many have you sold on. Courtiho, Raheem, Hannibal,Torres,

We will be a selling club as long as FSG are here. I dont see how we can claim any different.

That’s true I guess.

In fact if you use my definition of a selling club. Barcelona would be defined as such with the Neymar transfer. Lol.

So that doesn’t quite work. Oops.

well barca didn't willingly sell neymar, they paid his release clause. I think that makes it a rather different case to a club agreeing a fee and willingly signing the paperwork

We will be a selling club as long as FSG are here. I dont see how we can claim any different.

To be honest, you can create the persona of not being a selling club but it needs to come from the top. I think Liverpool were loathe to sell the likes of Sterling, Coutinho, and Suarez but once the club started entertaining the idea then the outcome becomes inevitable once the interested club meets the asking price. FSG might not have the financial clout that City's owner has but I think they have a fair bit of clout in their own right. Trouble is, there obviously comes a point where FSG's head is turned as well as the players but I believe if they'd given this persona from the outset that they were looking to return Liverpool right to the top and that their intention was to add great players to the great ones already there, then that would help ward off potential suitors while at the same time showing the players in question that the club are extremely ambitious. Despite all the money at City these days, I'm still a little surprised that since the takeover we've never seemingly been in danger of losing our best players to Spain's big two but I think a lot of it just comes down to the vibe the club gives off to other clubs sniffing round and to the players themselves. I think that Liverpool could quite conceivably do something similar, especially as you're now on a relatively sound footing and clearly building a very promising team. Salah will be the next one in the crosshairs of Barca and Real but if Liverpool make all the right noises to him now and offer him a huge new contract then you might keep him out of their clutches. Granted, some will say that Suarez and Coutinho signed lucrative new contracts and that didn't stop Barca getting them but I reckon they signed those deals as part of an agreement to let them get their move further down the line.

Torres to Chelsea I mentioned previously as being the last time we made such as sale.
The Sterling one is difficult because you'll get different answers depending on who you ask. I personally was sad to see him go, but others will tell you it was a good deal.
But they’ll only tell you it was a good deal after the event so they can save face.

When Sterling first talked about leaving, the smear campaign started. He was a money grabber. He was forced to come out and say it wasn’t about money. If I recall correctly he said he wouldn’t sign a contract with Liverpool for a million pounds per week.

He was then harangued for being too big for his boots.

I remember Alan Hansen, Ray Houghton, Mickey Quinn, John Barnes, John Aldridge and most hilariously of all Steven Gerrard all coming out to vilify him.

I say hilariously of Gerrard because he said that Sterling should follow Jordan Henderson’s example when it comes to loyalty. That’s right, Jamaican born, London raised, bought from QPR Raheem Sterling should be more loyal like Sunderland born, Sunderland raised, Sunderland youth product turned captain who left to play for Liverpool.

Liverpool fans saying they’re not bothered about Sterling leaving now is like me living with Jennifer Aniston for two years. Two years of bliss. I tell myself it’ll last forever and we have good times. The sex is amazing. She wears stockings and suspenders sometimes and knee high boots. Soon though, she notices that I’m putting some weight on and can’t offer her the life she wants. She tells me she intends to leave me if I don’t buck my ideas up. I think she’s bluffing and change nowt.

She announces its over. I’m a mess. I get my mates to tell her what a good guy I am but the damage is done and she moves out. I watch her leave through the window in tears. Blowing big bubbles of snot and doing that crying and struggling to get my breath thing.

For the next few months, every time I see her in Asda, I follow her round telling her new fellow that she’s no good, throwing insults at her and making threats.

18 months later, someone asks me why she left. Now do you believe me when I say “I wasn’t that arsed. She’s a slag anyway”?

Last edited:
Strange that the Dippers never quote these type of statistics .

Don't things like that appear in their 'istree ?

https://www.footballseeding.com/club-ranking/a2017-2018/

The statistics that matter right now in Europe are the above. City in 8th and the top English team.
The mighty Liverpool are in....can you believe it.....27th...alongside such giants as Olympiakos and Fiorentina.
They need to be a bit more humble....qualified for the CL just once since 2010 and got knocked out in the group stage...that was in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.