Cambridge Analytica

Add to this that Twitter then also started to de-verify (i.e. remove the blue ticks which verify people are who they say they are) the same sort of individuals. Seems no coincidence that the majority of the individuals in these cases were considered to have political opinions from the right.
Not really though. If you go through a list of banned people on Twitter (Wikipedia), they're not just people who happen to have right wing views. They're often specifically members of the alt-right. That is not a coincidence, since it's a movement with a history of orchestrating targeted abuse and harassment of individuals. As far as I can tell, every banned supporter of that movement has been banned for exactly that reason.

As for the Twitter verified thing, well Katie Hopkins is still verified, but David Duke isn't. Ann Coulter is still verified, but Tommy Robinson isn't. It seems like you can post your racist views, but as soon as you start organising far-right rallies, that seems to be the point that Twitter don't want to verify your account any more. The main reason this happened in the first place was because the person who organised that Charlottesville rally in which people were killed by white nationalists had Twitter-verified status. They're trying to get away from the idea that Twitter actually endorses the people with a blue tick. Ironically, they may have made things worse, because if they're willing to de-verify certain people, then it suggests that those that remain meet some sort of requirements.

Last edited:
So...

Are millions deleting their FB accounts now or are they blindly accepting being manipulated for the good of others?

So...

Are millions deleting their FB accounts now or are they blindly accepting being manipulated for the good of others?
Most people on FB haven’t the first clue about this story. Of the ones that do, most don’t care. Christ, what’s life worth if you can’t tell your workmates ex best friends sisters cousin that you’re having the best chicken and glass of wine for dinner?

Yeah, who needs experts eh?

I tried telling you about this stuff yesterday but you dismissed it out of hand. Campaigns are bound by rules including ones covering tv/radio/news adverts and appearances. Not a perfect system but at least it has some checks and balances.
If you're happy to have your info stolen and then be targeted with false info during a campaign then you may as well keep your head in the sand on this.
I'd also like to see some evidence that backs up the young people/facebook/remain claim you trot out to have this down as a non-story.
And finally, this isn't about 'sides' or 'losers' whinging. It's an assault on democracy.

I didn’t dismiss anything and said it’s worrying and needs to be investigated. Go look again.

What I have also said is politics is a dirty business and always has been in the USA with similar gutter politics also becoming the norm here and if info can be used like CA have done then bet your bottom dollar all sides will do it because the victim can’t always just be the loser.

As for saying the younger generation is far more active on social media channels isn’t exactly rocket science is it? That said if CA or anyone else for that matter used it to affect brexit then I’m struggling to see how they did it given the young people voted overwhelmingly to remain.

Attack on our democracy? Absolutely it is but then I think the way remain have acted since the referendum is the same as they refuse to accept the result.

Some of the hand wringing in this thread is almost as worrying as what CA have been up to.

I didn’t dismiss anything and said it’s worrying and needs to be investigated. Go look again.

What I have also said is politics is a dirty business and always has been in the USA with similar gutter politics also becoming the norm here and if info can be used like CA have done then bet your bottom dollar all sides will do it because the victim can’t always just be the loser.

As for saying the younger generation is far more active on social media channels isn’t exactly rocket science is it? That said if CA or anyone else for that matter used it to affect brexit then I’m struggling to see how they did it given the young people voted overwhelmingly to remain.

Attack on our democracy? Absolutely it is but then I think the way remain have acted since the referendum is the same as they refuse to accept the result.

uk-social-media-demographics-2016-13-638.jpg

Facebook is used widely by all demographics.

Luckily, I don't get any political steers from FB.

Twitter is where it is at. Bots pop up on most political threads. They used to be fairly easy to spot, but the algorithms seem to have improved. It appears Russia have upped their game.

Not really though. If you go through a list of banned people on Twitter (Wikipedia), they're not just people who happen to have right wing views. They're often specifically members of the alt-right. That is not a coincidence, since it's a movement with a history of orchestrating targeted abuse and harassment of individuals. As far as I can tell, every banned supporter of that movement has been banned for exactly that reason.
I didn't mention anything about people being banned from twitter specifically.

What i high-lighted was Twitter (and their employees) having the capability to employ shadow-banning techniques. This is where certain peoples content is downgraded within the system so it doesn't turn up in searches or appear on other people's feeds. It was admitted by Twitter software engineers the majority of its use was targetted towards conservatives & Trump supporters.
Also who (and by what authority) gets to decide if some-one is Alt-Right. Do you not see a problem where if someone (like an employee from Twitter) disagrees with a person views they could label them 'Alt-Right' and have their content removed. You also get the problem where people start relying on companies like the Southern Poverty Law Center to discern for them who should be considered 'extremists' or 'hate groups'. Only the other week they published an article which labeled Tim Pool (freelance left leaning journalist) as Alt Right, on the basis that he had associated with/interviewed people from the far right. If you don't see the potential for bias & abuse then fine, but i see it as a form of censorship & de-platforming.

As for the Twitter verified thing, well Katie Hopkins is still verified, but David Duke isn't. Ann Coulter is still verified, but Tommy Robinson isn't. It seems like you can post your racist views, but as soon as you start organising far-right rallies, that seems to be the point that Twitter don't want to verify your account any more. The main reason this happened in the first place was because the person who organised that Charlottesville rally in which people were killed by white nationalists had Twitter-verified status. They're trying to get away from the idea that Twitter actually endorses the people with a blue tick. Ironically, they may have made things worse, because if they're willing to de-verify certain people, then it suggests that those that remain meet some sort of requirements.

Maybe i misunderstand what the whole verification is about, but i was under the impression that it was so known people in public eye could verify who they were, so they that other people couldn't masquerade as them using similiar names & profiles to cause mischief & problems. What it now seems to have turned into is a 'badge' for views & opinions that are endorsed by Twitter, and not about proving identities.
You might not have a problem with this, but my view is that social media should be neutral, and not show bias or favouritism to any side.

My original point still stands, and that was it seems people (on both sides), as long as they are getting the results or outcomes they desire, aren't really interested in the methods used. The methods, lack of a level playing field etc only become an issue when they become affected.

Last edited:

You seem to have no understanding of the breadth of social media and the people who use it. You’re also guilty of playing the stupid card, when you’re obviously not, so it’s a bit unbecoming really. If I’d said, on this thread or any other, that people over 50 were incapable of using social media and it was just something for young people, you’d be on accusing me of calling Brexiteers ‘a bit thick’. Which, incidentally, I’ve never done and would never do. Influencing people through social media is insidious and needs to be tackled, no matter what. What they do is target news it thinks you’ll like, a bit like the daily express. Has there ever been a positive story about the EU in the express? Of course there hasn’t but people don’t get it in their face 24/7. FB, on the other hand, seems to be addictive for a large proportion of the population and they’re being fed untruths, by people like Cambridge Analytica, which confirms every suspicion they’ve ever had about almost anything. Forget what’s right and wrong for a minute but they’re convinced they delivered Trump and they delivered Brexit. If you’re happy with that, then fair enough but I’m not because it stinks and you know it does.

Fascinating stuff. The role of social media, its impact and the evident abuse by CA and others to manipulate people emotionally will have to be addressed. The other side is the willingness of people to be emotionally manipulated despite facts and evidence which is more problematic. Part of this seems to be a desire to be seen as a ‘victim’ or indentify with a grouping that claims to be ‘victimised’ despite there being no objective evidence to support this. The pathology behind this thinking is also fascinating and exploited by groups like CA who openly reject factual reasoning in favour of emotional reasoning.

Is that not Liverpool fans

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.