Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too passive for my liking - he's neither one thing or the other and most certainly not a right winger - and that is all on Pep and his fuck up.

I never wanted to slag him off after that horrific injury and I thought it wold take time to realise his best.

However, all I see after plenty of time to get fit is an average footballer struggling in this side with his role.

He cannot hold and he cannot compete with Silva or De Bruyne for a midfield berth.

He's had plenty of chances, yet, continues to fail.

I hate to say it, but he is weak of and and body.

I expected him to play but I was surprised he and KDB weren't in the other's position.

Gundogan is a good player but mobility isn't his strength. Was a weird decision and both he and the team paid the price.

He was much better in his first season before his ACL.

Never a game to put Gundogan in. He's not mobile, seems to panic when pressed and doesn't like a tackle, everything Liverpool thrive on against us. Pep's mistake and he has admitted as much, that said as a pro footballer if a game is passing you by, the least you do is put a foot in, unsettle the opposition, break up play, sadly that's not Gundogans game. He could easily be gone in Summer and we recoup his signing on fee or he stays as a squad player for bottom half teams and domestic cups.

Two horrific injuries have clearly damaged him mentally, such a shame as he is a Rolls Royce of a player in a league full of thugs & piss poor refs, think he’ll be moved on back to the Bundesliga in the summer, maybe makeweight in a Weigl deal?

Hopefully,when it comes to games of major significance,we don't see him feature in any future fixtures.He lacks character and physicality,being far too lightweight in both mind and body,and he offers very little in terms of presence or influence.

One signing that was always going to be a gamble,and it hasnt worked out,unfortunately.

Finally many are beginning to see the light.

He has stayed fit this season, scored some good goals. 27 yo. Think we could get £30m for him in this market maybe more. Would be great business.

Move him on while his value is still relatively high. This is something we’ve failed to do in the past with players that were not good enough.

Gundogan is class; skillful on the ball and capable of unlocking defenses with his excellent passing skills.

But... is he a fit for Pep's system? Particularly - immediate press when losing the ball and capable of retaining the ball even when under pressure.

Probably due to injury, Gundogan doesn't seem to like to press aggressively.

And when under pressure, Gundogan is prone to errant passes - even w/o pressure, he'll occasionally give the ball away due to carelessness.

I really like Gundogan - but, I don't think he fits our system particularly well.

Against weak opposition that's just going to park the bus, for sure play Gundogan - as part of a dual pivot, or against real bus parkers and with pacy center backs, a lone pivot, he will excell.

But against sides that will pressure our team and that pose real threat where the entire team must press and the man closest to the ball must aggressively pursue tackles... that's not Gundogan at all.
===========
As others have posted - strange that Gundogan started versus Pool.

Reluctantly, I think we need to sell Gundogan in the summer window.
===========
Question to posters who have long followed Pep: Will Pep sell players that do their best for him and that he sanctioned purchase for, but who do not ultimately fit his system?

But if I remember rightly he was a "must have" when Pep arrived despite his serious injury. Pep must know enough about him to have done that.

But if I remember rightly he was a "must have" when Pep arrived despite his serious injury. Pep must know enough about him to have done that.

Yep...he was asked to do a role though that he just wasnt comfortable with. He was unsure whether to stay out wide or come inside, hence why he got bypassed by milner and whoever it was time and time again

He is best suited to cm position. Due to his injuries and lack of games for us, i think pep is still looking at him to get experience in a different position to improve his overall game. It back fired big time on wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.