This team won't be considered great until...

Back to back league titles/winning the league more often than not over a sustained period and winning the champions league will only elevate this team into greatness in the eyes of those who dont support our club i.e recognition from the media etc

I do think we are playing the Rag and media game here and allowing "greatness" to be defined by the longevity of success.
The " invincibles " were invincible for 1 season and are remembered for a exciting style of play and specifically that season. Yes they went on to win more trophies but the greatness tag would not have been applied if not for that 1 season. ( and I would happily apply that tag having watched them take us apart at Maine rd. )
There was not ( correct me if I`m wrong ) too many back to back title winning teams say pre 1960 but is it truly correct to dismiss say title winning teams of any year which totally dominated any one season.?
Lets remember its the team the players in any one time, dont fall the Rag logic .

You get the impression that this particular City team won’t be considered great until we’ve either won the Champions League, or back-to-back Premier League tiles.

However, the “Invincibles” did neither, and instead are remembered for one specific achievement,

It’s been almost 20 years since an English club won the Champions League without a penalty shootout, so essentially it’s the overall domestic dominance that creates the legacy of greatness.

In that respect the record for most points, (Chelsea under Mourinho) has more credence than their record for most goals (under Ancelotti), so it would certainly help our cause if City could reach 96 and beyond.

Similarly, the United team of 93-94 is lauded for their fierce competitiveness, whereas the Liverpool of 78-79 and 87-88 were equally dominant, albeit the latter displaying more flamboyance than the former.

The United Treble team were arguably luckier than some of their other campaigns (as were their 67-68 team) whereas virtually every European Final involving Bayern Munich and an English team (Leeds, Villa, United, Chelsea) was won by the wrong team.

It’s also noticeable that having previously been cheated against Barcelona, Chelsea eventually rode their luck to beat both Barca and Bayern in 2012

We might never win the Champions League, but it shouldn’t be the deciding factor when judging greatness.

Y’day was history in the making, doubt we’ll get that chance ever again, still so fucked off that pep doesn’t get it? thought he might have learn from cup game other season?? obv not? us winning lesgue v the scum means fuckall to our coach & thats a worry

Y’day was history in the making, doubt we’ll get that chance ever again, still so fucked off that pep doesn’t get it? thought he might have learn from cup game other season?? obv not? us winning lesgue v the scum means fuckall to our coach & thats a worry
For the umpteenth time how the fuck is it Peps fault that we missed so many chances in that first half and how is it his fault the players forget to defend and collapsed in 15 mins to throw away the game. The players have to take responsibility for this one yesterday.

Back to back prem titles
Chimps league final ( atleast )
And win away at ANFIELD.
Then we can be called great in my eyes.
C.T.I.D

For the umpteenth time how the fuck is it Peps fault that we missed so many chances in that first half and how is it his fault the players forget to defend and collapsed in 15 mins to throw away the game. The players have to take responsibility for this one yesterday.
Exactly, at half time Pep would have been considered a genius for giving Utd such a runaround without playing Sergio or Gabriel. Some people seem to hate Utd more than they love City.

If we win 5 and draw 1 we can still get 100 points. Though that won't last, as after losing the tie to Liverpool, we will also lose against Spurs next week as confidence will be at an all time squad low.
All down to not playing the best team against Utd.
If we had won yesterday confidence would be very high going into Tuesday.
Pep has totally fucked up. I love the guy but he has fucked up and there is no point pretending he hasn't.
The way we played in the first half it looked like he did play his best available team, bearing in mind's Sergio not being match fit & Gabriel making little impact against Liverpool & Walker needing to wake up from his nightmare. If either had started, Utd may have been much less uncomfortable than they were. Remember we had far more chances than them, even in the second half, hit the post, the crossbar and penalty not awarded and great save from DeGea. The CL challenge is seriously ill but not dead and Pep would be negligent not to keep that in mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.