Croatia

purplenose

Right after 20 years of having travelled only in the UK, Purplenose is climbing aboard big metal bird and going behind the iron curtain to Croatia. I will be staying in close to Zadar.

Has anyone been?
Is beer and grub cheap and acceptable.
Can you get Golden Virginia Rolling tobacco and Lambert and Butler fags?
Are the locals friendly?
Is it a relatively rag free place?

As I will be flying with Ryan air is it best to bring my own flying hat and goggles?

It's a great country but I've not been back for 30 years, just the way my holidays have gone, I'd recommend getting a ferry to a few of the nearby Islands, the people were friendly but it was just before the war and there was some tension. Enjoy you'll love it.

Went last year. Stayed about 40 miles south of Split. Not too expensive but not particularly cheap either, apart from the day out in Dubrovnik which was extortionate. Judging by the cars there were visitors from all over Europe. Not overrun with Brits.

Spent 4 days in Dubrovnik last year - truly a gem of a city. Really beautiful place.
Go early or late into the town centre. From around 11.00am the cruise ships disgorge
their masses and it can be bedlam. By around 4.00 pm they have all buggered off back to the ships.
At night the place is all lit up with loads of narrow streets. Hundreds of bars & restaurants and its a cool
place. Definitely worth a visit.

Spent 4 days in Dubrovnik last year - truly a gem of a city. Really beautiful place.
Go early or late into the town centre. From around 11.00am the cruise ships disgorge
their masses and it can be bedlam. By around 4.00 pm they have all buggered off back to the ships.
At night the place is all lit up with loads of narrow streets. Hundreds of bars & restaurants and its a cool
place. Definitely worth a visit.
But not if staying in northern Croatia. It's at least a four hour drive from Zadar, probably more like 5 or 6 judging by the time it took us doing only just over half that distance.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.