Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

For what it’s worth - I’m convinced Pep wants Wiegl and given his present status at BVB - I can see a deal being done for circa £40m. From my perspective the lad at Napoli Jorginho looks the most ready to come in and do a job - a real quarterback. The lad at Lazio SMS looks a great prospect but a bit of a high stakes punt if you believe the fee being quoted. Personally think Fred is too small and I know Fabinho has his supporters but I’m not sure his passing is good enough for Pep.

For what it’s worth - I’m convinced Pep wants Wiegl and given his present status at BVB - I can see a deal being done for circa £40m. From my perspective the lad at Napoli Jorginho looks the most ready to come in and do a job - a real quarterback. The lad at Lazio SMS looks a great prospect but a bit of a high stakes punt if you believe the fee being quoted. Personally think Fred is too small and I know Fabinho has his supporters but I’m not sure his passing is good enough for Pep.
Either Weigl or Jorginho for Yaya would massively improve the squad, and I'd love it if we signed either of them. (Haven't seen enough of Fabinho).

I don't understand why Pep would have a preference for Weigl, but if he's seen something special in him, then he's had plenty of opportunity to study him, with his background & connections as a manager in that league. When I've watched him, he seems to flounder badly when teams get at them, but Pep knows best if he wants him.

At one time though, Fabinho seemed to be our main target & suddenly went off the radar. To me, he seems as if he's got more 'Premier League' about him.

Jorginho though, whilst not so physically impressive, is a pretty robust player & an excellent footballer.

But if only we could find a player who can do everything, like this guy, one of the best midfielders ever to play in this country:

Not a bad long passer for a guy who can't hit long passes. He needs to stick his arse out & pose more when he does it, so the nerds notice.

I don't understand why Pep would have a preference for Weigl, but if he's seen something special in him, then he's had plenty of opportunity to study him, with his background & connections as a manager in that league. When I've watched him, he seems to flounder badly when teams get at them, but Pep knows best if he wants him.

At one time though, Fabinho seemed to be our main target & suddenly went off the radar. To me, he seems as if he's got more 'Premier League' about him.

Jorginho though, whilst not so physically impressive, is a pretty robust player & an excellent footballer.

But if only we could find a player who can do everything, like this guy, one of the best midfielders ever to play in this country:

Not a bad long passer for a guy who can't hit long passes. He needs to stick his arse out & pose more when he does it, so the nerds notice.

Just a shame he's 33.

Agree totally mate! Fabinho hopefully should be a fairly easy deal to sort with a good relationship with Monaco as well

Could you imagine a summer that involves us trading danilo for fabinho AND bringing in Weigl for Yaya. It's pure fantasy but it would be awesome.

The most concerning thing about Weigl is his current form and recent ankle injury, who knows how badly it affected him. In all other respects he looks like an ideal choice (I watched him a lot at BvB, he looked as good as young Busquets under Tuchel). I agree that Jorginho would be a good alternative to him.

As for SMS, I don't understand why he's being mentioned in the context of DM position. Completely different player, more a 'KdB' than a patient midfield controller. Not press-resistant enough, not very good defensively.

The most concerning thing about Weigl is his current form and recent ankle injury, who knows how badly it affected him. In all other respects he looks like an ideal choice (I watched him a lot at BvB, he looked as good as young Busquets under Tuchel). I agree that Jorginho would be a good alternative to him.

As for SMS, I don't understand why he's being mentioned in the context of DM position. Completely different player, more a 'KdB' than a patient midfield controller. Not press-resistant enough, not very good defensively.

The more you speak about SMS the more I disagree with you!

For me, Milinkovic-Savic is possibly the most press resistant of the lot we've been linked with. His ability to use his body to hold off a defender or two before giving the ball to an unmarked teammate is reminiscent of Yaya and Busquets, he's particularly great at using his first touch to beat someone pressing him by either wrong footing them or using it to put his body between the ball and person pressing him

He's a player who has had his head up and knows what he's going to do before the ball arrives at his feet, which is generally what makes players good at resisting pressing teams, it's something Pep's talked about and something Fernandinho, Yaya, Busquets, Weigl & Jorginho all do.

Not good defensively? Again I really disagree, he's good defensively for the type of midfielder he currently is, box to box. He makes a lot of tackles, he tracks runners, he wins the ball back.

Doing the job at the base of midfield is different, positioning much more important but as he's not played there it's hard to say how good he'd be, and impossible to say how well he'd react to Pep teaching him.

Also Fernandinho was a box to box midfielder who even played as a #10 for Shakhtar, Fred doesn't play that role at Shakhtar but he was seemingly very close to being bought in January and may still be a target, so we know it's not necessary for a great #6 prospect to already be playing there.

I feel like you don't want us linked with SMS, which is fine, everyone's got their opinion, and we're not linked with him these days anyway, but disagree strongly on the reasons why.

I agree with you on Weigl and Jorginho though.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.