'A Taste Of Honey' - film locations around The Etihad

When I read the title of this thread this tune keeps playing in my mind. 38 years ago this was released. Seems like yesterday.

I'm just watching A Taste of Honey on Talking Pictures TV and wondered where it was shot. To my surprise, one of the first google results was this thread. Good old Bluemoon!

well done for finding Talking Pictures TV - a great channel - there's loads of old movies and stuff on there I like watching. Deserving of a wider audience in my view.

Yes @bluethrunthru it's excellent. I like seeing the street scenes on the black and white films and old TV series and seeing how little traffic there was then, and the types of cars.

What dpresses me is being of 1961 vintage some of that shit happened in my lifetime !! The contrast between then and now is amazing and depressing to me.

well done for finding Talking Pictures TV - a great channel - there's loads of old movies and stuff on there I like watching. Deserving of a wider audience in my view.

It's all we have on in our house, wife loves the old films. Pointless having Sky. In fact it's pointless having a colour licence. I watched again last night. Great shots of old Manchester.

In a similar way The Smiths were denounced too, when posing outside the Salford Lads Club because
A) they weren't from Salford
B) The club were annoyed they hadn't sought permission to use the club as a background (the club lost a court case seeking royalties)
C) The club's committee, being staunch royalists, were annoyed that the club was associated with the album's title 'The Queen Is Dead''

Now of course the club embraces the bands legacy and welcomes fans from all round the world and has a Smiths memorabilia room inside!

Back to Shelagh Delaney and she actually appears in the film! Right at the beginning when Jo is playing netball (badly) there are very quick shots of the teacher blowing her whistle. Immediately behind the teacher stands the lone figure of Delaney, in a long dark coat just standing there watching the netball game!

Hazel Blears, the former Salford MP also appears in the film as one of the street urchins in Salford
Also denounced by Salford council was Ewan MacColl, for writing "Dirty Old Town", which was a paean to Salford where he was born and bred. They even tried to get him to change the lyrics.

Here is Jo at the top of a set of steps and the picture below is one I took on my last trip over, 2 years ago.
The steps are at the Holt Town tram stop and were fenced off.

30743541_2007455595948687_789277518635979636_n.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.