Pep - Manager of the Season 2017/18

To be fair to Dyche, Burnley are a million miles ahead of where they should be. Given the spending of Arsenal and the players they have and given there are 2 points between the teams... It just goes to show on the one hand you have money propping up a bad manager in Wenger and on the other you have a great manager who has done the same with nothing.

I think the argument will always be made that Pep SHOULD be doing well with the money etc which is true but it is the way in which we have won it and the way we have played which makes him pip Dyche imo. Even when money is spent you still need to go out and win games and we have done that and then some.

Pep should obviously win it but we have won the league 3 times now and we still do not have a manager or player of the season award. If Dyche wins it then fair enough he has done well but it is would be very ignorant to what Pep has done.

What an embarrassment to the premier league if anyone other than Pep wins it, this also goes for pundits and press who thinks Burnley have been anything special, if you offered a free ticket for city or Burnley and both kicked off at the same time even the press and gobby ex players would go to the city match, all they want is to make out they are thinking out of the box
Don't forget it's all over the medals are won what else is there to keep them relevant.
Bellamy just needs to keep banging the drum for us because he never changes his admiration for the way we are playing.

Spot-on. The fact that Dyche is being pushed by the media tells you all you need to know about the dinosaur culture of our football media. Burnley have scored 33 goals but only conceded 29 so they do have a great defence but Pep is dragging English football to a new level. They keep telling us we can't be great till we win the European Cup. United have managed it three times since 1956 after almost 50 European campaigns so we have at least another 40 years to match their unremarkable record.

Of the two occasions the winning manager has not been selected

One was Fergie, after he had already been voted several times during the 90s

The only real non-city exception therefore was Ancelloti in 2010
Who had created an excellent, attacking team and stopped manure's trophy run.

So no surprises there

Spot-on. The fact that Dyche is being pushed by the media tells you all you need to know about the dinosaur culture of our football media. Burnley have scored 33 goals but only conceded 29 so they do have a great defence but Pep is dragging English football to a new level. They keep telling us we can't be great till we win the European Cup. United have managed it three times since 1956 after almost 50 European campaigns so we have at least another 40 years to match their unremarkable record.

Some **** does what Dyche has done, in at least one, if not several of the leagues, every fucking year, & almost all the teams, year in year out, look fucking Identical.

If you had never seen Burnley play, you couldn't watch them & go 'ahh, I see a Shaun Dyche team'. It could be any of the identikit British/Irish no mark wankers who have been holding football back for the last god knows how many decades.

He just happens to be the one who is getting away with it best, at the moment.

To be fair to Dyche, Burnley are a million miles ahead of where they should be. Given the spending of Arsenal and the players they have and given there are 2 points between the teams... It just goes to show on the one hand you have money propping up a bad manager in Wenger and on the other you have a great manager who has done the same with nothing.

I think the argument will always be made that Pep SHOULD be doing well with the money etc which is true but it is the way in which we have won it and the way we have played which makes him pip Dyche imo. Even when money is spent you still need to go out and win games and we have done that and then some.

Pep should obviously win it but we have won the league 3 times now and we still do not have a manager or player of the season award. If Dyche wins it then fair enough he has done well but it is would be very ignorant to what Pep has done.

And why have Arsenal suddenly become the benchmark of performance? I just don't understand this viewpoint.
And you are bang on with us winning 3 titles and not having a manager of the season or even player of the season.
It really cannot be a coincidence.

Of the two occasions the winning manager has not been selected

One was Fergie, after he had already been voted several times during the 90s

The only real non-city exception therefore was Ancelloti in 2010
Who had created an excellent, attacking team and stopped manure's trophy run.

So no surprises there
Personally, I don't think winning the league should automatically qualify you for manager of the year, otherwise what's the point. This year Pep HAS to win it though. He's picked up the goalposts, dismantled them and erected them in a different pitch.

Looking at the years it hasn't gone to a league winning manager (2010, 2012, 2014), I can understand the choices to be honest. I'm working on the assumption that these are voted for before the end of the season, but neither Mancini nor Pellegrini looked liked winning the league at this point in the season in 2012 or 2014 (Liverpool and United were in the driving seat) and in 2010 Hodgson took Fulham(!) the the Europa League final and knocked out Juventus en route.

Something would be amiss if Pep didn't win it this year though. Not to say Dyche hasn't exceeded expectations, but Pep has also massively exceeded what we thought possible in August last year. Broke records, played the best style of football the league has seen since the Arsenal team circa 2003 and won the league at a canter.

Personally, I think anyone who's suggesting Dyche is doing so just to be contrary.

A few in the media - particularly BT but a few at the Beeb aswell have really sponsored this Dyche thing - it’s a disgrace but clearly a few bitter Rags and Dippers think this is some kind of victory. I hope their pathetic plans come to fruition because it will just serve to push Pep on even more - so long as Pep feels he has something to prove - he will remain here. If it wasn’t Dyche they’d be going for Rafa Benitez - in fact they’d have another 3 or 4 lined up before they’d admit Pep is not only head and shoulders above anyone in the league - but his football philosophy is light years ahead of anything English football - including most of the clowns in the press - can possibly conceive - and their may be a clue as to why they want to sponsor Dyche. Can you imagine Fatty Custis trying to have a strategic conversation with Pep about anything?

Totally agree

Some **** does what Dyche has done, in at least one, if not several of the leagues, every fucking year, & almost all the teams, year in year out, look fucking Identical.

If you had never seen Burnley play, you couldn't watch them & go 'ahh, I see a Shaun Dyche team'. It could be any of the identikit British/Irish no mark wankers who have been holding football back for the last god knows how many decades.

He just happens to be the one who is getting away with it best, at the moment.

The history of development in the English game - our greatest gift to the world (perhaps after our legal system?) - is frankly embarrassing and it is still not hard to see why.

Mind you, I had the rare pleasure of being with the away support at Spurs - most of the away games I've been to this season have necessitated me sitting in with the home fans - so I was surrounded by a different set of City fans to the lovely folk that have been neighbours the seats went into the Kippax. Someone behind me clearly said that he could never get used to us playing it around at the back and he clearly was not alone in being panicked by that approach. TBF, we can probably all pick moments where a good hoof would have been the best option, but as the exception rather than the rule.

As to Dyche, what little I have seen of Burnley speaks of a well organised, very hard working team that plays the percentages. From limited knowledge of them, I would say his biggest achievement is getting the work rate and commitment out of his players. Top notch organisation and hard work can produce a good season for a team and can be enough to keep a team up but does it often keep a team punching above its weight for a really extended period? Is there anything very clever about it? Sure, it can be a job well done but it doesn't usually come with thrilling football.

What Guardiola has done still is not, IMO, getting enough praise and recognition. I just hope he can demonstrate his motivational skills by getting his players to win five consecutive dead rubbers: that might be one of his biggest achievements yet!

FWIW, I think Guardiola is the most likely winner of the award but the fact we are debating alternatives shows how daft football can be here (or how paranoid we all are).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.