50th Aniversary First Div Champions 14 May

Gordyola

Team supported
City of course
May 14th is the fifty anniversary of the Mercer Allison team winning the First Division Championship, this is the likely date for the parade around Manchester Hope the club acknowledge the 67/68 winners on the day maybe get the surviving members of team on the bus

Last edited:
Was on duty that day in a barracks in Bordon, Hampshire. Listening to it on a portable radio stuck in the bars of a window in the guard room. Gutted to have missed that day. Tis a good job it never happened. Being pre 'istory.

How about Tony Book up front holding the 68 trophy alongside Vinny with this seasons?

How about Tony Book up front holding the 68 trophy alongside Vinny with this seasons?

I don't believe that's possible. In those days there was only one trophy & a replica wasnt given to the winners. The trophy was handed back at the end of the following season. It's now the Championship trophy, but I suspect that the one handed out now isn't the original. I went on a Maine Road tour after the Keegan team won the 'old' 2nd division and had the privilege of holding the trophy. That was most definitely the original one. The current trophy looks too shiny & new.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.