Windrush

I find it incredible that these cards were destroyed at all. If nothing else they're a part of history and would've been certainly of interest and value to historians/museums, and exactly how much room were they taking up for someone to want to destroy them? I've visited the records dept at Huddersfield Uni and the secure room where they keep far less important/valuable documents is temperature and humidity controlled and they guard them with their lives. Records like this would make a great exhibition.

It's a bizarre decision and it's right that there's an investigation as to why they've gone. As for the cost? What about the cost of compensation never mind sorting it all out quickly for these poor fuckers? Or are we just going to wait for them all to die before we get around to that? I'll call that a rhetorical question because we all know the fucking answer.

But, the cards are a side-issue. The treatment of people who have done nothing wrong is appalling. The cards hadn't been needed until now, and actually would only prove arrival and not years of residency which is what they are having to prove, until the Tory govt especially Theresa May decided there was going to be a "hostile environment" to illegal immigrants. Remember that it isn't just about having to prove you've been here, in the meantime you can't have a bank account, get a job, travel etc... But it's fairly obvious, and was no doubt pointed out to her at the time, that they would then start being hostile to all immigrants. How else are they going to root them all out and get the figures down?

Let's face it the stats are far more important than a few innocent dark-skinned people getting a hard time eh?

This has to be the worst government that we've had in my lifetime. Shameful.

The government lying well that's a shock!

Que the knuckle draggers calling me a conspiracy theorist or a wum...

This is now escalating as people are reporting that they are afraid of interacting with the government because of a fear that they will be deported

Not registering their children for free school meals when eligible (this affects pupil premium funding as it based on those in receipt of free meals)
Pupils scared of reporting that a second language other than English is used at home in early years (this again affects the funding a school can get - known as EAL)
Parents not attending parents evenings
Failing to vote (voters in five local authorities will have to prove who they are before they can vote in the forthcoming elections)
Applications for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities grants
People not being deported but not being allowed back into the uk despite their family being here
Access to Legal aid
Referrals to Child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS)

Also this 'hostile environment' is being applied to all immigrants not just 'Windrush'

What a mess

The government lying well that's a shock!

Que the knuckle draggers calling me a conspiracy theorist or a wum...

The fact you fail to see a distinction between this and the Syrian situation, when it’s far from just our government saying it, proves how far away from reality you are.

Great Britain in the 21st Century

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...indrush-man-left-homeless-after-brain-surgery

The 62-year-old spent five months in hospital, where staff told the former British Rail worker that he might need to pay for his treatment, even though he had paid UK taxes for more than 40 years.

“They showed me a bill for the brain operation. I think it was £5,000,” he said.

Upon discharge, he had nowhere to go because he had lost his home as a result of official doubts about his right to be in the UK. Hospital staff had been unable to find him a bed in a homeless shelter; having been classed as an “illegal immigrant” he was ineligible for a bed in a state-funded hostel. Despite his precarious health and lack of accommodation, he was allowed to leave the hospital and began sleeping rough. He had no warm clothes and few belongings because when was he evicted all his things had been thrown away.

“I wasn’t at all well. It was January or February; I was freezing that night. It was so cold I thought I was going to die,” he said.

After a night on the streets, he queued at the local housing department to try to get emergency housing. “I think they didn’t give two hoots, they just told me a lot of negative things. I ended up leaving and I had to go back sleeping on the streets. At the time I was trying to make myself strong, but when I think about it now, I think it is disgusting the way they treated me.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.