VAR (PL introduction 2019)

Around page 35 of this thread there's a swell of support for var. This coincides with the chumps league scouse loss and Sanes 'offside' goal.
Fast forward to the day after we battered spurs with the help of a very dodgy penalty and things have quietened down considerably (apart from the tin foil hat brigade). I wonder why ???
Rubbish. We either got a penalty against Spurs or Lloris got sent off. Moss went for the former as Spurs would still have a chance in the game. I'd have preferred the later as it would have been game over.
It needs massively improving, but VAR every day for me. The Liverpool CL games and the derby showed me why as did the 14 non-red card decisions against our opponents that we have been on the receiving end of this season.

Last edited:
Rubbish. We either got a penalty against Spurs or Lloris got sent off. Moss went for the former as Spurs would still have a chance. I'd have preferred the later as it would have been game over.
It needs massively improving, but VAR every day for me. The Liverpool CL games and the derby showed me why

Nobody I've seen reviewing that incident, such as Dermott Gallagher has even bothered about lloris' challenge, so no chance of him being sent off. It's possible the other guy could have gone, but Clattenburg was on tv in another country explaining why that wasn't a red card.

Nobody I've seen reviewing that incident, such as Dermott Gallagher has even bothered about lloris' challenge, so no chance of him being sent off. It's possible the other guy could have gone, but Clattenburg was on tv in another country explaining why that wasn't a red card.
I'd love to see how Clatteringburg did that! No Spurs deffenders behind Lloris, clearly a yellow card if a penalty (which Lloris got). So if outside the area a red card.
In my opinion last man offences should just get a yellow card and a penalty wherever they are on the pitch.

Rubbish. We either got a penalty against Spurs or Lloris got sent off. Moss went for the former as Spurs would still have a chance. I'd have preferred the later as it would have been game over.
It needs massively improving, but VAR every day for me. The Liverpool CL games and the derby showed me why

The ref got it wrong and it went in our favour didn't it?

If we'd missed the penalty then got beat you'd be calling for var cos the keeper should have been cautioned and, through your interpretation of the rules, sent off, leaving us to stroll around against ten men and win the match because no team with ten men has ever beaten 11.

As for the scouse and scum games, i'd say the complete collapse of our back line was the reason we lost and not dodgy decisions. I agree that the Sane offside was a turning point against Liverpool but being 3 down from the first leg is probably the biggest factor in that loss.

If we'd missed the penalty then got beat you'd be calling for var cos the keeper should have been cautioned and, through your interpretation of the rules, sent off, leaving us to stroll around against ten men and win the match because no team with ten men has ever beaten 11.

As for the scouse and scum games, i'd say the complete collapse of our back line was the reason we lost and not dodgy decisions. I agree that the Sane offside was a turning point against Liverpool but being 3 down from the first leg is probably the biggest factor in that loss.

Do you mean the 3-0 away game where the first key goal was offside and a perfect away goal was ruled out?

I'd love to see how Clatteringburg did that! No Spurs deffenders behind Lloris, clearly a yellow card if a penalty (which Lloris got). So if outside the area a red card.
In my opinion last man offences should just get a yellow card and a penalty wherever they are on the pitch.

Not a red card for me as last man, at all, but red card for dangerous play, which wouldn't have been given.

Clattenburg apparently said guidelines are to give a red card for straight leg challenges or severity of impact & the one on Kompany wasn't one.

We have already seen the proof yesterday, with Valencia's challenge, compared to Delph's. Same ref, different rules.

I would have preferred the sending off. 10 men playing us is game over.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.