Are mobile phones ruining kids childhoods?

Yep, just like video games, TV, pop music and books before them. Older generations seem to get very worried whenever kids have a childhood that isn't exactly identical to their own.

Did you know that books were initially shunned in education because it was thought they would hinder students' ability to remember information?

I think any issues with kids and phones can probably be said of adults and phones too. The main issue is this trend of app makers deliberately designing apps to be addictive with none of the sort of regulation that you'd get in other industries. The other issue is the permanence of anything put online. It'll be interesting to see the first generation of politicians who have grown up putting everything online.

I think any issues with kids and phones can probably be said of adults and phones too. The main issue is this trend of app makers deliberately designing apps to be addictive with none of the sort of regulation that you'd get in other industries. The other issue is the permanence of anything put online. It'll be interesting to see the first generation of politicians who have grown up putting everything online.

Very true. It just amazes me how so many people can’t even carry on a conversation in person anymore. But will post anything online.

I think so. Not just kids either. I got rid of my Facebook because I noticed it started taking me away from my day to day life. It becomes an addiction. My 4 year old daughter has been transfixed by some of the videos on YouTube and it is scary because she can get very upset when you take it away from her. Again it feels like an addiction so I limit her time on my phone or iPad. Dangerous things.
I manage a kids home.... 12 kids that can be from between 1 day old and their last day of 17 and everywhere in between....
They are all so computer / electronically aware.... I will take a 4 year old to bed (no Savile gags please) and read a book to them? No chance.... They want me to get Paw Patrol on my phone for them to watch and fall asleep too.

I strongly believe they are. I only let my 3 have there phones 1 hour a night max. They are going mad at me but I was so sick of the whole family just tearing at screens. When I was my lads age I played out most nights - hide and seek or football or was at the boys brigade.

Anyone else having similar problems with kids on phones?
Nicola Morgan who writes about children and the brain says pre the smart phone she was only invited to talk about the brain and how it works. By 2009-10 her invites were all to talk about mental health in young people. There’s a strong correlation between the 2 though I guess there will be other factors.

Last edited:
I’d say no to be honest, it’s just different to what we did as kids. I was told TV was ruining my childhood by grandparents, and it really want.

And when your kids have kids, they will do different things to them and they will think there kids are being ruined by what ever tech is out there then.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.