Would we be in a CL Final if we didn't draw Liverpool?

Only thing our players still need is great performances in CL quarters and semis and occasionally in final(s). Apart from the PSG quarter finals we had zero great team performances or even individual ones. Also that was the only tie in CL where we faced some really strong top team opponent and we won. Barca 2x, Real, Pool all lost ties in knockout system.

PSG also has similarly uneffective CL run since their takeover despite they dominate their league more than us of course the level of competition there doesnt come close to the PL.

I wonder when our and their real breaktrough will arrive as its not only down to great squad and great managers, they had Ancelotti, Blanc, Emery, we had Pellegrini, Pep, while teams with lesser squads like Pool, Monaco, Roma or Atletico were able to get to the semis.

This season we had the luxury of not really being worried about the title around end of March as we had 10+ points lead, we failed to use that to our advantage and also cocked up a bit with the strange rotation/team selections with the Pool games and the derby.

Timing is crucial in CL, can you arrive to the high pressure games with your top form or you arrive with being a bit burned out. Imo Liverpool playing their best form in the season in recent weeks. the pressure they are able to put on defences is crazy. They must get shit tired tho and end of games they run out of energy but thats good if you are already 3-0, 5-0 up. They also not worried about playing weakned sides for PL games as their top4 place not in big danger. Thats a luxury they are using to their advantage now.

CL also proves it has nothing to do with domestic performance, Real, Roma, Pool had no chance in their league this season at all, while Bayern could hardly lose that title imo even if they tried to lose it they could fail not to win it lol. Pretty much on par with french ligue one in terms of competition.

I hope Pep can improve us in high pressure games but for me that has to come from being bit more pragmatic in the crucial 20-30-40 minutes periods and he has to be able to catch those periods and react to it. Also chance conversion has to improve in big games. Either by creating better chances or finishing better the chances we have.

I am 100% sure Pep doesnt want to go 3 years in row without a CL semi at least.

I can only guess he is talking grammatically, that the word drew should not follow didn’t, but we all know what he meant, so no harm done.
Haha, yeah I got that mate.
But I think he meant to write 'work out' when pointing out the op's mistakes.

No. I don't think we're a cup side. We've been consistently brilliant but played the same way in every game. It's a bit like pitting a marathon runner against a sprinter. Teams can raise their game for a one off cup tie hence the phrase "it was your cup final". There's an element of truth in that. Liverpool can regularly play us like a cup tie but flounder against run of the mill opposition in a routine league game.

IMO, that's why we're susceptible to the likes of Wigan and struggled against the likes of Wolves and Bristol City in the cup we did win. It's also why doubles are relatively rare.

It's a very good point this. Although we did manage to win the Carabao Cup! But you're right, in general we seem to struggle in one off games where the opposition really raise their game. Similar in this year's home derby, we were the rags' cup final.

We need to learn to step up when shit teams raise their game. Refs don't help us though.

It's a very good point this. Although we did manage to win the Carabao Cup! But you're right, in general we seem to struggle in one off games where the opposition really raise their game. Similar in this year's home derby, we were the rags' cup final.

We need to learn to step up when shit teams raise their game. Refs don't help us though.
refs certainly didnt help us in the derby and both CL games against the grievers

If the ref had done his job fairly, we would have been in the CL final even with the Liverpool draw.

End the thread now its like the rags saying they would be champions if we weren't above them. We got drawn against the dippers over two legs and conceded 5 goals, the first half at Anfield was a disaster and it leaves me scratching my head wondering why we can wipe the floor with United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at their own grounds but once we get into Merseyside we go completely to pieces.

We lost our composure against a front 3 pressing us and forcing us into mistakes, teams that sat back and took a beating off us this season will look to employ the dippers tactics and force us to drop points in the league.

the first half at Anfield was a disaster and it leaves me scratching my head wondering why we can wipe the floor with United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs at their own grounds but once we get into Merseyside we go completely to pieces.

We lost our composure against a front 3 pressing us and forcing us into mistakes, teams that sat back and took a beating off us this season will look to employ the dippers tactics and force us to drop points in the league.

Putting aside the poor refereeing we received vs LFC, styles make fights. Klopp has a certain style than causes possession teams problems. Unfortunately for him he struggles against other styles.

Teams ended up sitting back against us because they were getting slapped by 5/6/7 goals. If these same teams try to copy Klopp/LFC, a manager/team that trains this way every day and buys players to play that way, they will get slapped. It takes a huge amount of effort and co-ordination to do what Klopp wants. And money too, these lesser sides don't have the 300m Klopp has spent either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.