James McAtee | On loan at Sheffield United

If Bernie does finally leave this summer, I'd say he's a shoe in for that side.
Even if Bernardo stays, it is an area that we left ourselves light in this season. We could go into the market, but I'm hoping that the Palmer effect will make us pause (no pun intended) and give McAtee a season to develop; we also need the money to strengthen elsewhere. He may, of course, prefer to join Leicester for the minutes, but he might then be casting himself as a player destined for a career at the bottom of the League/top of the Championship, and I think he has more to offer than that.

The very same logic led us to allow Palmer to leave for roughly the same price. McAtee should be groomed to play the same role that Grealish has but on our right. Same height, similar build, and a left foot that can protect the ball and pause play. If we also then bring in Savio, that then gives us the opportunity to have an attacking/pausing player for both flanks. We’ll probably never play Grealish/McAtee together, but we’ll never find ourselves in the position of having to play Bernardo/Foden out there and thereby reducing our central options. If he can shine at Leicester he can sparkle in Manchester.
Yes, but you fail to mention that we already have Oscar Bobb on the right who pauses the play and protects the ball. And he's a better dribbler than Mcatee.

So Savio coming in would give us Grealish, Doku, Savio and Bobb for the wide positions. Phil has been used wide this season, as have Alvarez and Bernardo (who seems likely to leave).

Mcatee is more of a 10 anyway. But then there's the small matter of KDB, Phil and Alvarez.

I rate James very highly but unless Pep moves people on or prioritises him he won't be staying.

Yes, but you fail to mention that we already have Oscar Bobb on the right who pauses the play and protects the ball. And he's a better dribbler than Mcatee.

So Savio coming in would give us Grealish, Doku, Savio and Bobb for the wide positions. Phil has been used wide this season, as have Alvarez and Bernardo (who seems likely to leave).

Mcatee is more of a 10 anyway. But then there's the small matter of KDB, Phil and Alvarez.

I rate James very highly but unless Pep moves people on or prioritises him he won't be staying.
Bobb will be a central player not a wide one

Oscar Bobb, for me, is the most natural in terms of playing across the eighteen-yard line and is adept at playing either on the half turn or even with his back to goal. I do think, however, that we're going to keep on seeing far more rotation of players in the middle during games next season, so players are going to have to be adaptable and more than just a number.

Savio might come but he would take another season to adapt and is a more penetrating player. I just want to give McAtee a season in that role and see how he develops.

Last edited:
We might find that we're needing a bigger squad in the coming years tbh. The CL is expanding and then that stupid FIFA tournament starts next year too. There's going to be an insane amount of football and so many big games where half of the best players are injured.

I think it would be a massive waste if we sold him. I honestly think he could save us 50m and we can develop him into a top player.

We’ve spent huge amounts of money on players like nunes or Doku when we could give players like Mcatee a chance in my view who could be just as good.
I think Doku adds something different but based on what we have seen, and the number of times he’s been overlooked, Nunes looks a perplexing addition. McAtee certainly has potential. It’s whether both parties can be convinced to make it materialise.

We might find that we're needing a bigger squad in the coming years tbh. The CL is expanding and then that stupid FIFA tournament starts next year too. There's going to be an insane amount of football and so many big games where half of the best players are injured.
The big problem facing all these youngsters is that Pep utilises as little players as possible.
He invariably puts out as good a team as he can from a small base of players.
There are a bunch of younger players who are not at the top level yet but would make good squad back up with a good chance of breaking into the top group of players given time.
It looks like Savio, Couto and Evecherri are Girona bound.
Harwood Bellis, the 2 Doyles, McAtee, Kabore, Delap will be sold or loaned out again.
At the same time, we have Nunes and Gomes getting little or no game time.
Along as Pep is here, the Lavias and Palmers will not get any decent run.
Its one of the reasons Pep is so successful and he ain't gonna change his ways.
I'm guessing there is an ex or on loan City player at nearly every club in the premier league barring Liverpool.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.