VAR Discussion Thread - 2023/24

The principal of VAR is brilliant but it’s 100% not being used correctly,it’s slowly sucking the life and enjoyment out of football today’s game Coventry were seconds away from one of the greatest comebacks in football never mind cup semi finals,but VAR has made the game sterile to a point and has achieved nothing but destroying the instant passion when a goal is scored be it a goal on the 15 min mark,60min or a dramatic last min winner like today ..

If my memory serves me right VAR was sold to the fans as technology that would ensure that goals such as Maradona’s handball or Henry’s for France against RoI would be disallowed, or blatant offsides would be easy to overturn. We now have a situation where every decision is forensically analysed to point where one week it’s a red the next it isn’t. That’s not what it was intended to be used for. However I wish it was used when blatant corners are given as goal kicks and vice versa. That takes seconds and is factual. The offside at the end today was too close to call correctly given the shit technology used and the goal should have stood. The system needs a massive overhaul and the authorities need to come out and agree what it is there for.

Is the right answer.

I can’t see how they can judge the moment it’s kicked to position of a toe,the tolerances have to to be so extreme, a thin red line cannot be it, and how thick is that line, the thinner it is the better chance you have of been onside, Coventry battered them twats, I hope we finish it off and break another record by it been 7-0

When I first saw the Coventry goal he looked off.
However, the problem is they don't seem to be happy to call players 'level'.
They're looking for a definitive answer.
That leads to accusations like the games 'bent', corrupt etc... especially when the FA want a final that will sell to a worldwide TV audience.

Like @Blue Maverick said they can't be 100 per cent sure when a ball was actually kicked.
What was it someone once explained?
They work on 50mhz frames not 100mhz????

So there's an element of guesswork.

I can’t see how they can judge the moment it’s kicked to position of a toe,the tolerances have to to be so extreme, a thin red line cannot be it, and how thick is that line, the thinner it is the better chance you have of been onside, Coventry battered them twats, I hope we finish it off and break another record by it been 7-0
Running at a relatively slow pace of 4m/s against a static defender each frame of VAR footage is approximately 8cm. Between each frame, it is nigh on impossible to tell the precise moment a pass is made. At best it is a guess. Currently the VAR operator is free to make the call on which frame the chose and is therefore in a position to influence the call.

If you factor in the TV companies into the mix (I know we are told they have nothing to do with it - Bullshit), ask yourself which final stands to make substantially more money from a global advertising perspective - City v Coventry or City v United?

The principal of VAR is brilliant but it’s 100% not being used correctly,it’s slowly sucking the life and enjoyment out of football today’s game Coventry were seconds away from one of the greatest comebacks in football never mind cup semi finals,but VAR has made the game sterile to a point and has achieved nothing but destroying the instant passion when a goal is scored be it a goal on the 15 min mark,60min or a dramatic last min winner like today ..

It's definitely not being used correctly but I also think it's flawed in that the offside rule wasn't designed to be implemented so forensically. We have a rule that's designed to stop players gaining an obvious advantage from being in an offside position. Nobody has ever wanted goals to be ruled out for a toe or an armpit being offside, but we are forced to do that now that we're using a method more precise than the naked eye. The only answer I can see is that we change the offside rule now so that it's feet only and either only the trailing foot that can be offside or there be daylight entirely. Yes you can still draw lines and argue in those situations but I think fans would have to accept that if the attacking player has gone soon enough that it's debatable whether or not their trailing leg is still onside then they dont get the benefit of the doubt.

It's definitely not being used correctly but I also think it's flawed in that the offside rule wasn't designed to be implemented so forensically. We have a rule that's designed to stop players gaining an obvious advantage from being in an offside position. Nobody has ever wanted goals to be ruled out for a toe or an armpit being offside, but we are forced to do that now that we're using a method more precise than the naked eye. The only answer I can see is that we change the offside rule now so that it's feet only and either only the trailing foot that can be offside or there be daylight entirely. Yes you can still draw lines and argue in those situations but I think fans would have to accept that if the attacking player has gone soon enough that it's debatable whether or not their trailing leg is still onside then they dont get the benefit of the doubt.
Agree totally,if it’s that tight and it’s taking more than let’s say 10-20 secs to judge not 2-3 mins then you give the benefit to the attacker which was always meant to be the case,unfortunately situations arise where because of which teams are playing they are determined to try and sway a tight call either way..

Var operators are the equipment of speed camera operators, they sit away from the world and just decide to be cunts and have no spirit of the law or common sense, yes they should be doing people for doing double the speed limit and endangering lives but the vast majority of their job is doing people for going 1 mile over the speed limit and this is the same for var operators yes they should be getting that missed one when there the player punches the ball at a corner or a vicious tackle that could have injured a player but the vast majority of their work is seeing if a player is a mm offside or if it hits a defender on the arm as they are trying to move out of the way.

They just want to destroy the joy of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.