Happy St George's Day

We apparently don't have any. Everything we think is 'English' culture we have stolen from elsewhere. Nothing to celebrate at all.
Well not quite true, we are to celebrate all other's above any we may believe to be our own.

Not trawled through the pages here, but expect plenty telling us 'George wasn't even English' yadda yadda yawn... ?
We're a mongrel nation and the better for it.

Both my parents were Irish but my brother and me were born here and consider ourselves 100% English. That's as it should be. Open societies welcome outside ideas and people and succeed as a result. Insular societies wither and die.

We apparently don't have any. Everything we think is 'English' culture we have stolen from elsewhere. Nothing to celebrate at all.
Well not quite true, we are to celebrate all other's above any we may believe to be our own.

Not trawled through the pages here, but expect plenty telling us 'George wasn't even English' yadda yadda yawn... ?

It matters not a jot to them that the German patron saint is English, every time they see a certain flag they start frothing and whinging.

We're a mongrel nation and the better for it.

Both my parents were Irish but my brother and me were born here and consider ourselves 100% English. That's as it should be. Open societies welcome outside ideas and people and succeed as a result. Insular societies wither and die.
Exactly

Just had to explain who St George was to my wife.
I went on to mention St Patrick and then told her that the Welsh had one as well.
Do the Scotch have a saint?

Just had to explain who St George was to my wife.
I went on to mention St Patrick and then told her that the Welsh had one as well.
Do the Scotch have a saint?

St Andrew, he wasn't even born on this continent :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.