David Silva retires from football (pg13)

What a player, his stats will never show just what a great player he actually was, the assister of the assister and tbh his through balls to release
All true, a lot of what he did wont show up in stats, which makes the fact that he is 7th for all time PL assists, even more impressive:
1714163729106.jpeg
Take note of the appearances. 6 games to get 2 assists or more would have him above Bergkamp. 41 games to get 19 or more assists or more would have him above Fabregas(with 10+ more goals than him). I've seen a youtube debate where a Spurs fan was mocking Silva being mentioned in the PL greats: 'even having him above Fabregas is a joke' or some such, I seem to remember. He was better than Fabregas for me, as THE greatest spanish playmaker in the PL era. Compare their G&A tally for Spain too, David has 67 to Cesc's 51 overall. To say he's not in the same company, is a disgrace.

As for the Yaya debate, they were very different players with different roles and attributes. Yaya was unstopable in 2013/14 but that can't be used as the norm, that was a standout season for him. He didn't start at that level and he dropped off progressively in the seasons that followed. Even in terms of match to match, he wasn't consistent for 90 mins(it would be impossible really) but as I said, a very different kind of player.

Silva didn't have one of those seasons(carrying City to a title) but every season since 2011/12, he'd get mentions from opposition managers, a common quote in pre-match and post-match would be: 'Stop him and you stop City'(he'd get doubled up on and booted with little protection from refs as I remember it). He was arguably more important, the tempo setter, the conductor, who also unlocked defences, provided plenty of assists and failing that, the pass before the assist. Finding the half-spaces was one of the key attributes Pep identified in him, making space for others when he couldn't. Just an all around high football-iq, combined with brilliant technical ability when he chose to use it. Pace and power weren't his thing, he wasn't flashy either, so not a headline grabber but I don't see how anyone couldn't be impressed watching him play. He was so consistent, way more longevity than Yaya.

As for a proper send off, he's the shy and reserved type, maybe he didn't want one. Aguero hasn't had one either though, unless my memory is failing me. It's more for the fans than it is the players IMO, but hopefully they'd both be up for a shared one, if they were asked.

Last edited:
Best footballer Ive ever seen
I think Phil would agree with you.

In a recent interview he was asked to compare great midfield players. He hesitated a few times when comparing great players of different times. However, the moment the interviewer asked him to compare the best of those players with Merlin, he didn’t hesitate.

For Phil, El Mago is the best player he has seen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.